Overcoming Pre-Game Jitters and finding Enthusiasm

question

I’m trying to adapt that attitude goin forward.
Just got finished with the last of my “finale” sessions for my current campaign and there’s not much room for a change in dming as the wheels of the next few sessions are already turning.
That said, I’ll definitely be trying to bring in more of that freeform reactive dming into my next dnd 5e game I run.

When stuff like this happens, do not be shy to ask for a few minutes to gather thoughts. It’s what I do when needed.

Alternatively, talk to your players. “So, what do you think about this? Off-game.” You want the PLAYERS talking, not the CHARACTERS.

Interesting. I’ll make sure to do that.
I tend to ask em what they’re happy with and what they’d change after we finish a session but asking more incisive and direct questions is sure to get em talking. Thanks!

Being completely honest, rarely do I get the answers I need right after the end of a session. Usually it’s when I ask mid-session, or some off-day that the group got together online for some reason that I get valuable input.

Your example is exactly where two things happen in my games. One of my table rules is that I will ask, “Are you sure?” Twice. The first time, they undoubtedly say yes or that they’re joking. The second, someone usually asks why.

If it passes the “Are you sure?” check, then that PC just sided with evil. Game on.

Just be patient and try to learn from your mistakes. You’ll improve over time.

Keep going.

Thanks for the kind words,
appreciate it :blush: