One Prep Campaign DMing, what I've learned

playthrough

There is an elusive quality in Game Master preparation, for me, the single greatest pain point in the hobby… time.

Problem:
Should you spend 4 to 10 hours prepping for every 4-hour game?
Not for me, that’s a path of disappointment, frustration, and reduces my quality of life because instead of living… I’m prepping.

Answer:
Prep once, then enjoy that life.

Example 1: Since the start of the year, I’ve run a barrowmaze game almost every Saturday, we are well into our 7th or 8th game. Each game we have 3-4 folks who return, and another 3-4 who rotate out every game as their schedules allow. I prepped precisely once, and then I stopped. I will record notes, but only during the game time, if it’s not significant enough to remember or document, it can be forgotten. There is no journal, there is no planning. When my players join to play, I participate to DM, we have an equal commitment to the game in time, effort, and it’s been divine.

Example 2: Joe’s got a campaign that we are almost a dozen sessions into. He’s done the same, but with LotFP.

What’s included in one prep:
My Tools:
Roll20
VTT Generic Tokens
VTT Spot Light/Ultimate Dungeon Terrain disk
Deck of random quests from Inkwell Ideas
Systems:
ICRPG
5 Torches Deep
(yes, both at the same time… and they are vital because they carry the cognitive load as sound systems should)
Mega Dungeon Setting: Barrowmaze

How do I do One Preparation?
Fist, read the Barrowmaze intro, gazetteer, and brief description of each region or game space in the game. I don’t understand the rooms in advance, they are not crucial until you play.
Setup 6 pages in roll20.
Page 1: Map of the town and Hex Map of the region, I’ve dropped a picture token in for each NPC, describing who they are and what they want.
Page 2: Map of the Barrowmores, use fog of war, and the party as 1 single “party” token they move around to tell me which barrow they want to visit next.
Page 3: Gridded page with my Generic Tokens for easy access and minimal in-game searching
Page 4: A Spot-Lite Terrain Page with an Ultimate Dungeon Terrain Disk in the Center
Page 5: Reference page with 5 Torches Deep Character Creation laid out.
Page 6: A generic Job Board with quests picked at random, and a daytimer set, so they expire. It’s flat impossible to do them all, by design. I also will set open jobs as the players generate exciting events into motion.

How does it play?

DM Jobs:
I Start us every day at 6AM in the morning in-game time, show the players the job board (unless asked to start at a different time). The party meets outside the Inn they stay in. I only worry about Tracking time, filling in the job board with single sentance jobs from a random deck, representing NPCs, Rolling to generate encounters, setup UDT tokens when needed, reacting to player ideas.

It is also the DM’s job when running this kind of sandbox game, to present things so that you don’t split the party, or if you do, keep to an Iron-Clad level of ICRPG Turn Order to hold all the players engagement. As players realize they have the freedom to wander away from each other, they will. If you don’t switch off intentionally to interact with all of them, boredom will set in. It is ideal to keep them together so that they can interact with each other instead of you most of the time. They are the heart of the story and what drives the world. Don’t be afraid to upfront tell them that directly.

What the systems do:
5 Torches Deep: Takes the load on to make “time” in the game work and matter. This drives the player’s actions as it puts pressure not to be out after dark, how long they can adventure before becoming exhausted, how long they have to complete a contract (quest), and meaningful supply limitations to drive decisions. It even provides rules to rapidly return home so you can start your game from a home base with new players every session. It’s delightfully simple and easy. It also makes it possible to integrate all 5e content instantly, giving you access to that flushed out Monster Manual. Monsters play as is, with exactly half the HP, done. The healing, magic and death rules bring it to an OSR level of potential danger, and the elation of earned success. Levels drive some players and provide personal progression and survival tools. XP is only provided for recovered treasure to a safe location.

ICRPG, as a framework for running your game with ANY system, takes the load off keeping things flowing, removes the unneeded details, and lets you focus what your players are doing. We use a single Target 11, and we follow turn orders everywhere but combats. (Monsters have their 5e AC to hit which works for better challenge tuning, and for Turn order in battle we use a unique technique which I’ll talk about some other day, it’s someone else’s invention, and I don’t want to steal their creation before they publish it). It’s a great framework to run the game from.

Player Jobs:
They decide precisely where they go, are doing, how they are preparing, and what quest is more important than the others. If they think it’s too dangerous, they return to safety. When they feel it’s also essential, they push things to the bloody end.

Commentary and Advice
It’s freak’n amazing to watch a game organically come together, because there is no plan, and there are no rails. Players drive what they want, if they wish to play a combat-heavy game, they charge into danger! All encounters are rolled at random from the barrowmaze setting on the spot. The things in the environment also come from the barrowmaze background to provide new sites and tools for the players, some times these have hilarious or deadly results, but so far, folks keep coming back and have had a good time.

We have also had sessions where players wanted to work through some intrigues that had surfaced. They spent 4-hours straight role-playing with Town NPC’s, and every person at the table seemed excited after it was finished as they uncovered and triggered significant events in the setting.

This style of game has the potential to be a meat grinder, so I let folks know that upfront. Death is 1000% possible because I don’t know if you will face 1 Giant Spiders or 6 Giant Spiders (1D6 Giant Spiders), the choice is still yours because you can run. However, I can say from both playing and DMing this style of game. If you die doing what you enjoy in an RPG, it’s not meaningless so much as fulfilling, because 1, you were doing what you wanted to do (not what I thought you would enjoy). 2, when there is victory, it means something much more.

I think this game works because once Players realize they are choosing their own adventure paths, they do the kind of content they want to do. When this happens, it helps account for the different taste in-game styles we all have; a clear consensus is reached at the start by the group, so expectations are set, and they know the game they will be playing that night.

My greatest fear at the start of this was that it would be a boring game because I hadn’t planned some grand adventure, which would unfold like a movie. I was afraid that the players would have no idea what they wanted to do and would stagnate. I was also fearful because I’ve heard it argued before that sandbox games are “bad” and unfair, that choosing a path is pointless. After all, players don’t really understand whats going on in the world around that corner and don’t have the same information the GM does. I was afraid of all of these things coming into this, no one wants to host a game that isn’t fun, and I could not have been more wrong on every single level. If you do this, people at large will have a good time, maybe a better time then you can imagine.

If someone doesn’t have fun, then don’t sweat it, because, in this kinda game, the mega-dungeon game, the sandbox game, anyone can join up at any time, building a shared “west marches” style persistent world. The people who do enjoy it, they’ll keep coming. You will get your life back with your one-time game prep. Then, the more you play in this world, the easier it will come to everyone, and the more comfortable your players will become with dreaming up what’s next.

Please, don’t take this as a condemnation on other styles of games, if you enjoy prepping for 10 hours, then rock on! If you only enjoy playing in one shot, on the rails, movie, or even video gamy experiences with this excellent story, a great storyteller has cooked up, then rock on!

I can only speak for myself, playing in and running this one prep style game… it’s a huge blessing in my life, so I wanted to share it with you. I want you to know it’s possible, and a hell of a lot of fun.

You have an hour to prep your next session! What do you include?

I am waiting for my copy of 5TD :heart_eyes:
I have the pdf but want to read the book first.
Where apart from Barrowmaze do you get the random tables you use?

For quests I use these:
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?cPath=8587_27758&affiliate_id=379287&

Then adapt to what I know is in the setting… so for example a quest to “mine oozes” for an alchemist, then in my setting becomes, recover Ooze samples from the barrowmaze for the local Wizard Mazzahs the Magnificent.

Outside of that, I use the 5 torches deep tables:
Sundries for basic loot items
Magical mishap tables for miss casts
Injury Table for injuries. Poor Joe lost an arm yesterday, blown off by a grave bolt from a dealthlock wraith. He was doped to 0 HP, recovered by an ally, he rolled an 11 on the injury table… arm gone. Harsh and brutal, yes, but this brings the story back to the players and makes it about them.

Encounters…
All from Barrowmaze! It has two tiers of levels for the different world areas, and then a day and night. You honestly only need a D6 tables of monsters to make things feel pretty dynamic if you want to make your own. Then each dungeon region has their own, and some times set monsters for the rooms.

NPCs…
Barrowmaze NPCs. If i need to invent an NPC i just google fantasy name generator and there are 100’s of options to pick from, and just do it while in play/

Dungeon Dressing:
D100 from barrowmaze works nicely.

Magic Loot:
I let the setting control that, its got a reasonable list already and they just find what is there. Unless a player wants to create an item.

Spells:
5 Torches Deep, God bless their spell lists. Clean, simple, extensive, contained, and reasonable.

I recently ran my first in-person open table of Barrowmaze using B/X Old School Essentials. I was fortunate to have played in Jason’s Saturday game and experience how he ran things. The job board of side quests was an excellent add, my players (all strangers who’ve never met or played with each other) loved it.

I did much the same as his approach with VTT:

• a physical job board with post-it notes for the postings
  • a printout of the starting town of Helix
  • a printout of the Barrowmoors (I modified the GM one to make this player-facing). This map in-game was carved into a large table in the tavern, next to it were also carved tips and rumors for the area
  • a return-home table in case we ran out of game time to get back to town. I used a version of the one written by The Alexandrian
  • a grip of pre-gens

The players say they had a great time. There were a few deaths and traps sprung. But, I had fun too because I, much like the players, was discovering every next step as we went along. I’m looking forward to the next game which I don’t need to prep for other than advancing some shadow plots. The players said they were already eager for the email with the next games date/time.

Jason turned me onto these from inkwell ideas : https://store.inkwellideas.com/collections/encounter-decks

At least it was only Pravda’s Shield arm that was lost, he can still swing a mace! And thanks to Magic Healing granted by the Gods he’ll be ready to delve into the Maze to help find the missing townsfolk and break the curse that grips the head of the church. :metal::grin::+1:

“Cleric with one arm is still Cleric.”