On a quest to find a great Dungeon crawl fully build for ICRPG!

question

Hello folks !

As the title says, i’m searching for a dungeon (even small) designed for ICRPG.
I saw a lot of room design but very few dungeons actually (or none at all).

Can anybody show me the direction to the closet link for it, if there is one.

Have a nice day. ^^

chamochin had a similar question regarding a “full” adventure.

see the link to the thread below

I think the Adventures in the Adventure PDF listed in the above-linked thread have great dungeon crawls, they require thought and a bit of imagination from the Game Master but they are “full”/Complete.

You could try Tomb of the Serpent King (https://coinsandscrolls.blogspot.com/2017/06/osr-tomb-of-serpent-kings-megapost.html) I converted some of it to ICRPG (video playlist), but it’s a fully fleshed out dungeon that’s really easy to convert.

Dyson Dodecahedron also has a pretty expansive mega-dungeon that I’ve run before (didn’t convert it, just did it on the fly) https://dysonlogos.blog/maps/the-dyson-megadelve/

Doomvault from the Adventure Pack is a great dungeon

Guess it just depends on what else you’re looking for.

Hey @JulesWalther

Thanks @Jaide you did well for the link.

JulesWalter I wish you more success than me and I wish you good luck :smile:

For as much possibility at there is I’m surprised by the lack of published 3rd party content flooding the ICRPG community. Maybe it’s creative paralysis or fear of being judged by peers, maybe it’s the scope of creation amidst a system that works for so many settings. I’ve got theories, but I check in for content here regularly to check out and don’t find as much as I’d expect from so many hard cores. I’ll keep checking back though! :smiley:

I think Hank discussed it really well in one of his recent streams. The vast majority of the hobby is played in isolation. All the wonderful content, rules, adaptation, hacks, etc…that is created by so many GMs and players only exist at their home tables and in their own groups. Most stuff is never published. Never shared. Never experienced except by those who live it.

I do agree that ICRPG is ripe for 3rd party content and stuff pops up every now and then. The Waste is Not Kind, VTT Hardsuit Tokens, adventures like Jewel of the Monkey God, and Khan’s Spells and Feats all come to mind of great ICRPG content, but I know what you mean. Maybe one day we’ll see that flood and it will be awesome to ride that wave on our shields! :shield:

I can see that to a degree, but there’s also a TON of people making RPG content for Patreon, Kickstarter, and more for personal funding. Most anybody in the RPG scene has peeked into the Mörk Borg community and they so regularly have 3rd party creations that the landscape is FLOODED with cool content to play, more than most could even play in a couple years.

Don’t get me wrong, there’s some cool ICRPG related content out there, and I’ve bought a lot of it to support creators, but I’m always surprised that not more is coming out.

I recently started converting the 3.0 Ashardalon module set to ICRPG. It has the stuff that happens in the adventure, I just need to retool the mobs and difficulty for ICRPG.

I mean we can take literally any printed module or adventure path and retrofit it for ICRPG.

You can always convert, sure, it has existed for a very long time.
But I still think that designing an adventure with a particular system in mind (here ICRPG) is not the same.

It’s funny, I thought exactly the same thing.

I come from Mork Borg (I’m a fan) and I wanted to discover ICRPG, and indeed if for MB they have just celebrated their 1000th third party module in 1.5 years of existence, for ICRPG it’s more… shy.

It’s a shame, because it could offer other angles of view, especially for adventures.

MB has a single setting and a singular style, so it’s easier to make content for. ICRPG has several settings so when you want to play a game you have to find the setting/genre you’re looking for too. Makes content creation harder, but there are folks with a lot of love for each of those settings, so it would be fun to work through. Maybe that’d be a fun project.

Hmm Interesting thought… but on the contrary I would rather think that since ICRPG covers several settings, it can reach more people (and authors).

My take on third party content and ICRPG. I view ICRPG as a toolkit, it trusts the DIY GM and empowers them and it really caters to this mindset and approach. I don’t know how much I represent ICRPG GM’s, but most of what I run is ICRPG ruleset at its core, all setting and flavor created by me and its a patchwork of ideas from all over the RPG creative spaces I frequent.

I get anxious when trying to run something pre-made like a module. I don’t have anything against them, I just get more excited about my own ideas and feel more comfortable creating an immersive gaming environment that way. Also it lets me weave in player ideas in a way that feels natural to me. I LOVE being DIY and ICRPG has made me feel awesome about me creating awesome sessions for my friends.

I am curious if the mindset that ICRPG encourages actually discourages third-party content because of its trust and empowerment of the DIY spirit? In other words, what is the need for going and finding third party content when you have all the tools? I sincerely hope this is not taken as a passive aggressive comment, it’s just a curious statement of a possible reason.

When I wrote the Waste is Not Kind I wanted to do the heavy lifting of generating ideas for GM’s and for the small document to be kindling to start a creative fire for people to hack it to pieces and make it their very own. I felt like established tools for post-apocalyptic ICRPG did not yet exist in a nice clean bundle so it was a lot more work to figure it out. I wanted to add to the toolset and give a boost to start people in a Mad Max type world. But that’s all I imagined it to be, a boost to get started. I wanted to carry on the tone of GM trust that I have come to treasure in the Runehammer style.

It’s been interesting to see the discussion of ICRPG lately and ponder my own style and what I enjoy in gaming. This is more just a musing on the topic than trying to make a specific point, so I will land this rambling plane. :grinning:

“ In other words, what is the need for going and finding third party content when you have all the tools? I sincerely hope this is not taken as a passive aggressive comment, it’s just a curious statement of a possible reason.”

This is a very interesting question.
I’ll allow myself a reply, not that I’m a content creator (well, I’ve done a lot of things like everyone else but never with a view to publishing), but because this subject was mentioned on the next thread.

Why do you want modules when you have all the tools?
Well, maybe because we don’t want to create ? Because we don’t have the time? Or simply because to have the whole vision of the author, his talent and his reflection in the modules.
I may be old school, but I think that preparation work, writing skills and playtesting give a better result than improvisation for someone who doesn’t necessarily want to do it.

DIY modules are great, but you have to do DIY with them.
But I prefer them to the “classic” (whole) modules, because with that you can play as is following the talent and vision of the author AND do DIY because, as everywhere in our hobby, we can modify what we want.
Nothing is mandatory and we have the 2 possibilities to satisfy everyone, and that’s great.

Allow me to chime in with my thoughts, opinions and experience as the “biggest” 3rd party content creator for ICRPG. In terms of pages published, I think I’m the 2nd dude after Hank in the ICRPG scene.

I’m gonna start with the harsh truth first:
Polished end products take a lot of time, but they only pay pennies.

In other words, the amount of work that needs to be put in does not justify the return. It is nowhere near it actually. That’s why people enter the publishing scene with a fray but they disappear after a short while. This doesn’t hold for one person only: Hank. He’s the head honcho and he creates a lot of things with his social media presence. He does commissions and supports himself in many ways, in addition to publishing.

Any 3rd party publisher has none of this. So us plebs have to support ourselves with product sales only and that doesn’t work.

Personally, I’m not gonna complain because for a nobody, I shattered any self publishing barriers thanks to the amazing ICRPG community which has supported and is still supporting me. I couldn’t have dreamed of being a best seller without you guys.

I’m still here, and I expect to be here but that’s because I changed my thinking about publishing. It is now only a hobby for me, not a source of income, because it can’t be. When I started my journey 4 years ago, I was thinking maybe this could be my profession. Last year I saw that it can’t be.

The reason I haven’t been publishing in over a year is simply because I can’t afford it. I can’t afford the time and effort. My Khan’s Spells and Feats books took 3 months of full time work each. They are great books in my opinion, both in content and production but such a quality comes at a cost. I don’t have such a time anymore because I have two new jobs which I have to focus on to earn money.

My jobs are improving, but they still need a lot of time and energy on my part. This won’t be like that in the future, as in the time investment will get less and less in the coming years but I’m nowhere near there yet. So, I have to keep my publishing efforts to a minimum.

For a long time, creating adventures was in my radar. I saw the need in the community, like a couple guys are already saying in this thread. DIY systems are great but sometimes you don’t want to. You don’t have the creative energy, you don’t have the time to create something polished, so and so forth. There is a real need for content in the community.

The question is though, “how much need is there?”.

ICRPG’s “any setting is possible” approach is actually problematic from this perspective. It is great for the system because we can play any games we like with this one simple system. On the other hand, I have no way of knowing how many sales I can get for any genre, be it sci-fi, fantasy, modern etc. That’s because there is fragmentation in the user base. For 3rd party content, it is a big headache.

Long story short, there are many problems in the 3rd party publishing scene.

This isn’t why I haven’t published any adventures yet though. Like I said, I was looking at this as a hobby, and money wasn’t an issue.

The issue is time. I have only so much free time to dedicate to publishing and after playing D&D 5E for many months, I once again saw how bad that system is. Inspiration struck and I started working on my new RPG system aimed primarily at D&D players.

It is basically D&D in the form of ICRPG, but much more simplified and streamlined, with tweaks where necessary to plug the weaknesses and stupidities I see in D&D each week at my gaming table. Yet it will mostly be ICRPG combatible. I expect that any new rules I introduce can be ported to ICRPG without any problems.

Anyway, it will take a long time to finish and it takes up all my alotted publishing time for the time being. That’s why I’m not writing any adventures currently, even though that would be fun.

In a few months, my writing should slow down and I’d need to test the system at the table. Maybe then I’ll be able to write an adventure. Who knows.

As a note, any adventure I would create would be just like @JDH says and what @chamochin expects: They would work as a baseline with multiple options and you’d be able to hack them to fit your vision and your table.

As the final note, publishing needs to be supported to happen.

Cheers for reading my impenetrable wall of text.

I don’t have a full dungeon, but I run my Darkest Dungeon-games as a low-prep sidescrolling dungeon crawl.
Have players roll a d4 for the biome (1: Ruins, 2: Weald, 3: Warrens, 4: Cove), prep 3-5 rooms and biome-specific monsters (which monsters can be found in which biome can be researched in the Darkest Dungeon-wiki) plus stuff to interact like curios, things that trigger stress-checks.
If players move from room to room roll a skull dice. Skull face means there’s monsters, no skull face means there’s no monsters. Have a big boss in the last room and a simple plot hook like: “There’s a pig-like abomination in the ruins. Those who rid us of that wretched being, shall be rewarded greatly.” or “The barkeeper of our tavern has gone missing in the cove. There’s rumours of horrible fish beings and eldritch priests. Help us open the tavern again. Drinks will be on the house.” etc.

It’s crazy we had the same idea!! So cool I love Darkest Dungeon so much.
I did the same for Mork Borg!

I think that ICRPG needs at least one fully kitted adventure module(preferably fantasy setting). It would help new DMs and would be a good way in promoting ICRPG as whole. I think of it like DnD starter sets. You get the rules and one starting adventure to start right away. It could be separate purchase, but you get the idea.

There’s a big collection of ICRPG-adventures (see here: Confused about recommended adventures) that one can play in lieu of a “starter set”. I feel they exactly serve the purpose of introducing new players to the game.

Oh god, I totally agree with you on that idea!
I miss it so much!