NOTION, the online notebook that ROCKS!

ezzerharden
notion

As most of you know, I am a journaling, Bullet Journal for GM’s, write it the rulebook, weirdo nut!!! … But I think I have found an alternative that may solve a lot of the probs TTRPG gamers may have… or at least GM’s in general… So I present to you all… Notion…a powerful notebook app that can be used for various uses like ICRPG!

• It can be accessed from the web, the app on my pc, and my phone, and it syncs them all together in real time (almost).
  • You can drag and drop or import pictures from any device, as well as group multiple pages into a bigger notebook.
  • It also has templates when you start so you can create to do lists, notes, journal, reading list, goals, and many more.
  • What I love most is I can share the page, group of pages or entire notebooks with the public, a personal “workgroup”, or just one or two people. It works very neatly and quickly.

Here is a screenshot of my ICRPG notebook in Notion. It is only one of many notebooks that I have in my collection. I pasted some summary info from the webpage below the pic.

NOTION

1. Notes & Docs

A simple, beautiful writing experience, with 30+ media types.

1. Knowledge Base

Turn your tribal knowledge into easy-to-find answers.

1. Tasks & Projects

Kanban board, calendar, and list views. Lightweight yet flexible.

1. Spreadsheets & Databases

Keep records of everything. Capture your unique workflows.

Bring clarity to your team

With one tool, everyone sees the whole picture.

Stay focused

Notion is light, fast, and distraction-free. The interface fades away the moment you start typing, leaving you alone with your work.

Think with drag & drop

Outline your ideas, then rearrange them in any order. Notion’s unique editor helps you structure your thoughts and daily plans.

Collaborate in real time

Comment on anything to start a discussion. Mention your coworkers when you need input. Get more done across time zones.

Boost personal productivity

Write better. Think more clearly. Stay organized.

Your central source of truth

Need a wiki? Notion is easy to edit, and even easier to organize and maintain. All your important knowledge stays in one place.

A simpler workflow for docs & tasks

Tired of linking Google Docs and Trello? Notion seamlessly blends the two. Full-powered project trackers with docs inside. Save your team from context switching.

Embed your current tools

Showcase designs from Figma? Review financial projections from Google Sheets? Notion embeds them all and 50+ other apps. It’s the hub for all your team’s knowledge.

Try it!

It’s free and works across many devices. Works on Mac, Windows, Android, iOS, and has a web clipper!

I hope this is something you can make use of… I know I will. … Game On!

I had a look at it a few days ago when I ended up with Trello again as I could not really make heads or tails out of Notion, it seemed to do “too much” or maybe the android interface isn’t the greatest. I’ll give it another look after this hearty recommendation.

Notion can replicate BOARDS like in Trello. There are built in templates you can use to get started or as a guide to build your own. Below is a quick screenshot of my same notebook in a BOARD like setting… its quick and easy to change back and forth from one to another…

I have used both Notion and Trello, and Notion is so much more. Its a pretty robust application, but setting it up is like anything else. Its take time and consideration. There are some good import options. I am not an expert since I have only been using it a few weeks, but it seems pretty good so far.

… Game On!

I love to bujo too. I’ll definitely take a look!

‘‘Capture your unique workflow’’ doesn’t seem to work very well with:’‘Bring clarity to your team!’’ :laughing:
But thanks for sharing! I’ll keep BuJoing if you don’t mind, though!

Yea I think the set up part is what’s turning me away right now as I just don’t have the time to dedicate to it but will search for some tutorials.

Notion is definitely one of my favourite note taking tools out there. I’ve been using it for quite some years now, and I always come back to it. I’ve used it for galleries, notes, wikis, learning things… It’s just awesome for visual minds.

Oddly enough, I haven’t even considered using it for TTRPG DMing, which I totally should do…!

Would be an awesome way to allow my players to indulge in the world, spanning from base knowledge to lore and NPC TIDBITS.

Cross-platform (AND web access omg!) does it for me really. I usually suffer the pain of gaining inspiration in the middle of nowhere and losing it by the time I get back home to my PC.

This is just super awesome, ty, here’s a shipment of :herocoin: :herocoin::herocoin::herocoin::herocoin::herocoin::herocoin::herocoin::herocoin: for you good sir! xD

Ditto… cross platform and web access is great… i love the single person or group share option for individual pages or page groups is what sells me on it… Game On!

I found someone who built a RPG campaign page in their Notion

Nice find, thanks for sharing, will read asap

I was blown away when I realized I could just copy this into my workbook. Thank you very much again, it is an incredible template to work from and learn.

Link to my World Primer notebook for Bear Wars:

https://www.notion.so/ezzerharden/BEAR-WARS-PLAYTEST-a103a3c07e9048399d075b3ae3734adf

LINK UPDATED 3/5/2019

HOW I IMPORT STUFF

I also imported some other stuff for quick reference… here are some screenshots as I can’t share everything publicly due to copyright.

If you are about to ask how I did this…

1. In Adobe Acrobat you can convert a PDF into HTML or Word. HTML works best so far.
  2. I remove the art from the Word doc to make the import to notion cleaner.
  3. Import file into Notion.
  4. Screen Clip or Import art into the Notion Book as needed. I have found charts are imported easier as a screen clip instead of a table. Screen Clips using a screen clipper seem to work better and are lighter than an actual image import.

Clean up the doc as you go, or spend a little time making it shine! … I hope this helps.

GAME ON!

It says no access when I try to open the link :frowning:

Yea, l get the same, no access.

Same. You might need to change the public access permissions, since selecting link to share doesn’t automatically make it public.

@ChuckDee @Chaosmeister @Cherique … I have updated the link. Please try it again at your convenience. ~Ezzerharden

@Ezzerharden Works now. Seems like a fun project!

Fantastic and looks like an immensely fun project!

Glad to hear it works… I have imported some other stuff like Altered State and Hardcore Mode to use on various devices as reference material… …

As for BEAR WARS, its been fun playing about 4 sessions so far… The players have been really pushing the limits of PSI and the rules for it. More fun to come as I get a handle on things.

Thanks! … Game On!