New Roll20 Competitor?

vtt-roll20-online

Hey Guys,

Just stumbled upon this:

Drivethrurpg is kind of pushing it. So i decided to test it out, coz you can . . . for free.
It looks nice and i think i set up a testgame for next Week or so, to get a feel how it plays out.
What i can say til know is that making custom dice actions seems to be a bit more easy, theres dynamic light for free and it has a Video and Audio implementation. Seems pretty cool.

Anyone else tried out?

I’ll have to check it out.

I gave it several hours over three different occasions. It’s got problems. At first you think it’s great because the UI is modern and pretty, and there are some neat features. But once you actually try to add assets, navigate, and really get your hands dirty, you realize the hotkeys don’t always work, the gimmicky effects are only skin-deep (get old fast), the dynamic lighting has no real options, and some of the control elements are way too finnicky.
I would love to see Astral succeed. But I’m not going to check it out again for another 12 months.

Thanks for the opinion. Saved me time.

It might get better, eventually. Took a while for roll20 to also get good, I guess. :slight_smile: