MTG Sliver Like Monsters

Slivers are creatures from Magic the Gathering that evolve from each other. One sliver gives all flying, one gives them more defense, one gives them more power, etc.

The hive mind monsters would be great additions to ICRPG. They could be insects, aliens, goblins, you name it.

So I broke them into 2 types of enemies.

Sliver Lords: Bigger than grunts and when killed all slivers lose a random buff. (1 or 2 Hearts)

Sliver Grunts: Low health grunts that always appear in swarms. (I personally make them have 1 HP)

You could have a battle with 6 Sliver Lords and a bunch of Grunts.

All slivers on the field have the following traits.
* Flying
* Power - bonus 1d4 damage - extra arms
* Armor - hard to hit
* Reduce damage taken by 1d4
* Ranged attack - up to far
* Spawns grunts when they get hit.

When a Sliver lord dies, all slivers lose one of the above buffs at random. Take out the lords or your gonna have a hard time.

You could even do this in reverse, and have no lords to start. And when a grunt dies another grunts turns into a Lord and gains resistance to how the last grunt died.

Grunt died to fire? Lord spawns and now they take half damage from fire or maybe immune to fire.

Grunt died from melee damage? another grunt turns into a lord that makes them hard to hit now.

Grunt died from area effect damage? A lord spawns giving them all flying.

Go crazy and have fun.

i have always loved “the Slivers” one of my favored deck. her is the only thing i would do a little different. instead of having the Slivers start with all of those abilities, have them more like the cards, with each type having one perk. that way, you can introduce a new breed, and up the threat lvl Amping up the tension.

Example:

• Basic Drone Sliver = blank. no perks.
  • Muscle Sliver = give all Slivers +1 to rolls.
  • Quick Sliver = give all Slivers (hard to hit)
  • Armor Sliver = give all Slivers (Reduce Incoming Damage by 1D4)
  • Spiting Sliver = give all Slivers ( Ranged attack - up to far)
  • Winged Sliver = give all Slivers ( Flying )

and so on.

there are a lot of Slivers to pull from, and i wouldn’t introduce the Sliver Lord or Queen or higher powered perks till much Further in the adventure.

so i would play this with the Blank Drones first ( get them used to the idea) then add one new kind to the fight to spice it up. lather, rinse, repeat.

these are just my thoughts on the idea. hope it helps.

Yeah Sliver decks!

Love your take on the slivers. They would make for great reoccurring enemies that evolve each time.

I only gave them 6 abilities to start off with if intended to use them for just one encounter. NPCs mention that they been fighting off the Slivers for months and each time they come back stronger than before.

Could even make a single encounter with only 6 lords and no grunts, and each kill weakens the group. They are a fun enemy type that can be done in so many ways.

yup. there are all sorts of ideas for these guys. have the perk Sliver be the boss token. making his drones take on his ability. do this over a few different games, and then introduce the Lords, and a hive Queen. think star ship troopers.

there are the ground troop bugs, then the tank bugs, the flyers, brain bugs.

same idea, just reskinned. and if bugs arnt a good fit to your world. they could be robots.
each time on of them falls a second one will absorb his core and buff it’s self.