Monster Morality Lessons

inspiration

As I have said a thousand times I use ICRPG for teaching purposes. I am wondering if there are any monsters/enemies that stand out as good morality tales; too greedy, rude, addicted to X, and so on. As an example I have used “Bree the Fire Starter”, a young fire mage who’s magic gets out of control when she gets angry which has lead people to resent her. The kids have used their skills to help her and ultimately saved her reputation in the village. My kiddo’s at school all come with anger issues and limited social skill abilities so using the game in this way allows them a safe and fun space to learn these skills. Any tips are appreciated.

I don’t want to do a deep dive into the current “political” environment. Short version, it’s their religion. They are coming home with anger issues by design. The book “1984” mentions this in the … first chapter’ish? You can read more about the Moscow religion and its implications if you are interested.

For morality lessons, fables are generally pretty good, that’s why they exist. I can’t think of any monsters off the top of my head, but I like the idea as monster origin stories. I’ll have to give it some thought. Thanks!

To your point, my kids mostly have chemical and mental issues (ranging from fetal alcohol syndrome to autism) as well as coming from hard home environments. Politics may be part of it but they deal with very real physical and mental issues. My school takes those kids in and helps them develop skills to cope with those “issues” and I use this system to help teach those skills in a more palatable way. I am well aware of the use of fables as cautionary tales and morality stories and I am hoping to use that same sort of thing to help teach them some cool life skills. I would love to hear any monsters you may think of to help further this goal.

Goblins are lazy at heart, I think. Even Runeman suggested in some paragraph that the lil’ greenskins would be amazing if not for their laziness. Perhaps introducing your kids to the lessons of motivation, discipline, inspiration, and all those good virtures that combat lazyness? :3

Now THAT’S what im talking about! Thank you, great idea!

Dragons are the iconic “Greed” monsters

Just look at Smaug from the Hobbit for inspiration.

I have Elder Dragons in my stories who hide their treasure from other dragons and are forever “paranoid” that another dragon will learn its location.

This causes dragons to be very rare sightings as they don’t like to leave their treasure troves unguarded which is good for the denizens of the land.

When two dragons fight, it’s an epic battle that usually alters the landscape. Luckily it only happens every few hundred years or so.

Love it, and it gives dragons even more reason to be feared when they are out. If they are willing to leave their hoards it must be for a reason. And that reason is never good.

For me, goblins have always been the “cannon fodder” where larger “people” bully them into taking the brunt force of the attack. Not being happy with that, I gave it some thought.

For a world I was building, I revised the idea and gave them magical abilities (pick pocket). A Paladine could keep 2 or 3 at bay, but for numbers larger than that a goblin would be able to reach in and magically teleport an item from the poor Paladine upon failed saving throw. Things such as underwear, sword (on a good roll), pouches, etc. Then they would run off in different directions, usually to give such things to Orcs in exchange for promotions and food. The goal was to have the mighty Paladine tremble in fear when seeing a lowly goblin.

I understand that, however in terms of ICRPG, Goblins, Gerblins, and whatever else they are called are not the same as standard Goblins. Still, panty-teleporting Goblins are always fun. :smiley:

(Thinking rather simply here, not digging too far for something.) An ogre or other fantasy creature whose trope is raiding to take from others can be a lesson in hard work, in thankfulness, in not stealing, in defending the oppressed, the weak, etc.

The hag is frequently one seeking great power or beauty, or envious of those who have what she does not.

A creature like an ogre or another that is known for consuming and gluttony can be a lesson on not being gluttonous, consumeristic, etc.

What you seem to be seeking are; Aesop’s fables, brothers Grimm, Mother goose, and 1001 Arabian nights.

A lot of curating would be required, but for the most part Aesop’s tales, modern collection not truly from the time, are morality tales. Brothers Grimm are usually about being clever vs very archetypes.

These all would hit a young age group well. Some might need a twist, but don’t add too much sophistication to these timeless fables.

Arabian nights has a few adult themes, but a proper fear of magical creatures (things that seem too good to be true) has value.

Be aware, some of these stories don’t hit our age of over sensitivity well, but they all typically have valuable lessons.
Well curated they would have huge value to young minds.

Just my 2 cents on the topic.

Villains usually embody one of the seven deadly sins. Pick one and something should spring to mind.

For me, Snakemen were always the embodiement of „science without conscience“.

all great ideas, thank you

We ran Age of Snakes last year and it was a blast, great idea!

sounds great, and any reason to dust off the fables is good in my book

Beholders are kind of the perfect expression of venality. They are greedy, suspicious, cunning, angry, etc.

I don’t know if these books are applicable to this thread. I include them here for sake of future reference, Amazon links (non-affiliate):

That would be a great monster to work up to. For years the big bad’s have been human but it would be fun to have a monster pulling the strings for once.

These are some truly great resources, thank you for sharing them!

Looking for Advice on a Project