Modern super hero assets

Still a work in progress – I am starting to build out some modern super hero assets for Vigilante Hero on Roll20. My roads need a rework and I have to rethink the ‘shadows’ I put on the buildings. Think I did those wrong in photoshop for them to work properly as overlays in Roll20. These are from me to any of you who want some free stuff to slap into your sessions. The first pic is a quick build out using the assets in the google drive I am sharing. Where I am today won’t be where I am tomorrow. Hoping some of you can send some feedback to help me grow into future me :slight_smile:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/13JpOMYXJ3UQHWv2NGEsL2WipQ37iaW5T?usp=sharing

Quick Edit: This is my own work from my own hand and I gave myself permission to share it for others to use.

Second Edit: DOH’T! The ICRPG token in that roll 20 screen shot is for scale and is not mine. But the rest is.

Nice modern assets! There is such a need, that’s for certain. Thanks for stepping up!

The only feedback I have is maybe you should make shadows more transparent. They look like borders rather than shadows in this state.

This is not a feedback per se, but a request: More props are always needed to populate the maps, if you are up to it.

Very nice :+1:t2:. People can always do with more assets. I don’t play online but still use assets for my maps by either printing them off or using as inspiration. Thanks for the work.

Nice work, it looks great! I agree with Kahn about the road shadows, they may look a little better with more transparency.

@Khan So those are not ‘shadows’ in the traditional sense. I did a layer of the same roof color but reduced the transparency thinking it would float over whatever I put it on after I merged the layers in photoshop. With that being said – it didn’t work. I did a true shadow on the attack copter which works for that purpose. Should I be using the actual shadow FX? When I go to a darker gray background for my board they look straight awful!

The reason I did it that way was because I actually like the drawn look of the ‘shadow’ around the building edge. I felt it gave it more of a comic book vibe.

Also ‘work in progress’ becomes ‘work completed’ when you toss it out for others to start looking at and making suggestions // messing with it. Way more motivating than drawing something and tossing it over and over again :slight_smile:

Yeah – I mussed up the roads because I made them and then did a gray background and merged the layers. I used a brush with a soft edge and it actually created that effect all on its own… I shouldn’t have done the gray background merge. Which stinks because I REALLY like the way the road came out and now have to start the piece over to dump it.

Or I should have done the magic wand before the merge and dropped the outside portion of the gray before I merged it with my road. All part of the learning process unfortunately.

Try lowering the opacity of building shadows (or make them lighter, or try both), they most likely will look better. I like the hand drawn style of the shadows so there are no problems there, but they are too opaque. They look like part of the building instead of shadows.

Shadow of the helicopter looks too dark to my eyes and therefore jarring, but other than that it looks alright. Also maybe try a bit more/less blur and see which one looks better.

Fixed the roads – they now blend smoothly and the files have been swapped out for the good ones. Tonight’s project was to make a ‘battle map’ for the first block crawl event.

BLACKOUT!

The first one would be the landing page in roll20 for the players to sit on while they assemble.

The second one is the actual event; someone or something disabled the power lines! 20x40 space to brawl it out.

This is badass, Greg! :raised_hands: I effing love it.
Also, your landing page and scene starter are solid gold, brother!

Got super frustrated tonight after I did the ‘battle page’ – tried my hand at making my own token. Bodies are hard! Brandon’s tokens just look so clean on a board. Like the simple lines just pop… But then I realized my issue. Super heroes need color! And should reflect their power.

First up – SPEEDSTER!

speedster

And more importantly – > I have to do my own thing and just run with it :slight_smile:

This one could probably be used for several concepts but calling it ‘growth’ because it plops down nice and big on the page :slight_smile:

You are on a roll! :metal:t3:

the%20mountain

Everything will be in the folder as I go. If I run out of space I will drop the .psd files but for now those are in there if anyone wants to reduce opacity and trace over the body – then MAKE YOUR OWN!