Making monsters

monsters
question

Greetings all. Making monsters, this is something that’s been spoke about a lot. But I don’t think like what I’m thinking about, if it has I’d appreciate a link.
So when it comes to inventing things for our players to kill we all have slightly different ways we stat our monsters. How somebody may stat a vampire could vary greatly from how another does it. Whatever, that’s cool. But at my own table I’d like some consistency.

Has anybody ever made a small set of guidelines to creating monsters. I’m thinking that in dungeon world there is a monster maker that I think is great. If a monster Operates in small groups, it has 6hp, if it has scales then it has 2 armour, if it’s particularly large it has +4 hp, it’s vicious?? +2 to damage.

I’d love to create something like this just as a reference. Has anybody done anything similar? Do you guys have a general rule, like when the worms bigger than a house I give it 4 hearts.
Or, I want this to rip them to pieces, all rolls +5. Things like that. I find the topic of making baddies interesting and would like to know how you guys make up your foes.

Maybe as an example a bunch of lizardmen, one lizardman “sergeant” and a big oaf lizardman that smashes big things.

Check out @Runehammer podcast Episode 13 about Monster Sets. He talks about how to create a group of monsters based around a theme.

Also check out Episode 57, where HF talks about breaking down stat blocks and focusing on what you need at the table for monsters.

Generally, I think there are two ways of achieving what you describe. Either, you can have some baseline monsters, that are just reskinned. So “weak monster”, “strong monster”, “solo monster” and “horde monster”, perhaps. I reckon bears and goblins are often used as blueprints.
Or, you can have some abilities/traits always existing together. So wings=flying, immaterial=immunity to non-magic, etc.

Personally, I tend to not use either. The first, I find, becomes obsolete with simple monster stats. “1HD” is both simpler and more informative than “weak”. The second in turn stops being helpful rather quickly, since - especially with a simple stat system - it is more interesting what sets the monster apart from others, rather than what they have in common. Consequently, my winged monsters tend to have “clumsy flight” or “silent flight” or “swift flight” etc, rather than be flying.

There are guidelines for different tiers of entity in the Magic Book that you might find useful.

For me I usually make it up on the go and use a lot of what people would expect when they picture a particular monster. Unless the monster gets a surprise attack I use basic attacks to start the fight (no one uses their ace in the hole right away) and get a feel for how the battle is going. Then I listen to table talk or use what people would expect from a monster. Centaur? Well probably fairly fast so it can move far and still make an attack. It has a horse body so probably decently thick and can take a hit or so easily. It has arms, is considered smart and normally is seen with bows so it will use its speed to keep a distance and makes long range attacks. The vote is still out on which way they wear pants though. The key is once I do something I keep it consistent for the rest of the battle. Once I do something I keep it that way. I take notes during the battles and keep them after, and since I DM for a bunch of kids they are brutally honest when something doesn’t work so I accept my mistakes and learn from them.

As for hp I only ever track how much damage the monster has taken. If they dish out an ass-whooping in the first round but seem excited to keep the fight going, it keeps going, even if ‘by the book’ the monster would be toast. If I feel they are losing interest or I’ve let them struggle enough the next hit kills the beast regardless of how much damage it has actually taken. This lets them feel good and inevitably someone will say, “I knew this thing only had 23 hp”. They get to feel smart and I get to learn something from the battle…but always take notes and keep them consistent for the next time or have a very good reason why something is different. (This ones bigger, has magical armor,a better weapon,extra powers granted by a witch, etc)

To me this keeps things from being too one dimensional and helps things react more naturally. I do keep a reign on things and try to never let it get too out of hand. A goblin may take an extra hit if it’s protecting something important to it but it’s never going to tank a bunch of damage.

That said having a basic formula like you suggest would be interesting and I’d definitely look into it but my worry is that you’d get a player that would ether figure out the system or read it and then they always know what to expect.

Lately, I keep it simple and just do a “+X” to all rolls unless it is a fast, strong, smart, or tough monster, then I do an additional “+X” to DEX, STR, INT, or ARMOR and so on. Then, for bosses or elites, I run through the Monster Roller Tables in CORE 2E for ideas. Even if I don’t use those options, they usually spark an idea for an ability that fits my particular monster. Pages 128, 129, 195, and 196 are especially helpful for quick monster building!

Not for ICRPG, but very useful and inspiring nonetheless:
“The Monster Alphabet” by Goodman Games and “The Random Esoteric Creature Generator” by Lamentations of the Flame Princess.

As mentioned +2 to rolls and straight damage usually works for 90% of creatures…adding a special attack for flavor…example: poison dust…+10 attack, melee range dex save to avoid, d4 damage each round hard con to save, and stop. (Not breathing, or filtered breathing would make immune)

But, all that info is not needed…stat blocks are not always needed…if you are making a creature catalogue for consistent use, perhaps. But is there a difference between a necromancer creating more undead, and a cleric healing city guard from a mechanic point of view? No.

Are things their stat block? Or where they fit in the story? Their portion of the narrative?

Goblins in a low fantasy gritty game, might be -2 on rolls…while in a far future sci-fi supers game +2 to rolls and are invisible to normal senses…

Now, if you are running your world…you decide.

Thanks for all the responses. As per usual, great advice here from the shield wall. I shall look at the suggestions given and stop fussing so much lol