Mage Spells And Inventory Spots

Question for the Shield Wall: I understand Mage spells (INT), unlike Priest spells (WIS), take up inventory spots. So, does that mean that you have to have a spell in an equipped slot to use it? And if it is in a carried slot, you would have to switch it to equipped before you could use it?

That is my understanding of the basic system, yes. Sounds like you have a handle on it.

Ok, and my follow up question… Can you switch a spell from carried to equipped during a turn or does it have to be done during a rest? I’m thinking rest because an equipped spell is memorized and a carried spell hasn’t been memorized?

This is you choosing to interpret it like that, isn’t it? Or a carryover from dnd?

They take up slots. Are they scrolls? Books? Rings? Runes?

Flavor it to taste.

At my table, YES to all of the above.

At my table, it only requires an action on the caster’s turn. I eschew most references to Vancian magic where mechanics are concerned and, under ICRPG’s loot-focused rules, prefer to flavor it as swapping out equipped versus carried material spell components. It’s your table, though, so do what works best for you and your players.

I like this. This was what I originally told my Mage player when they asked me this question. Then I started to overthink it again. Have a habit of doing that with ICRPG. Like Nicolas said, its a carry over from a 25+ years of D&D mindset.

I’m finding that to be the most difficult mindset to overcome: making things more complicated than they need to be.