Lon on Horror Gaming: The First Crucial Element

A while back, @BigGrump threw down a challenge for all of us to do more here, which has taken me a bit of time to wrap my head around how I could best contribute. Then in the prep chats for Blood Orange, I realized I had a ton of fiction side and neuro considerations I could post about on how to make characters more engaging as PC and GM. Then in my Blood Orange Gush Thread, @Shadymutha invited me to opine about Horror Gaming from my perspective as someone who spent some time writing it once upon a time.

Never let it be said that this Wordy Bastard would pass up a chance to pontificate!

And so I’ve decided to kick off a somewhat regularish set of posts here in the spirit of the blogosphere of yesteryear. Feel free to push the link to your friends and other outside sites, invite folks in to see what awesomeness awaits in ICRPG land!

This series is probably going to be a handful of posts long over next few weeks, and going to go under the main heading of Lon on Horror Gaming: so it’ll be easily searchable and linkable to the other series I hope to do.

So without further ado, I hereby christen this post the kickoff of a commitment to contribute regular —or at least regular_ish_—bits on the crossovers of fiction theory, neuroscience, and gaming.

#1. Know Your Genre, Know Your Audience.
Your first consideration when deciding to run a horror game is to know who is going to be at your table and what they think Horror means. Or, more specifically, what they think the emotional payoffs are going to be from a “Horror” game.

In the biggest sense, Genres can be broken down and further subdivided into the emotions they focus on evoking and the flavor of tension and relief they provide. Here’s a couple examples about Fantasy before I jump into Horror specifically:

• Fantasy, at the broadest possible definition, is a genre that grants a sense of escaping into a wonder-rich world ripe for discovery. It’s appeal is primarily about relief from this humdrum reality filled with contradictory and difficult to understand rules.

• High Fantasy tends to evoke a that sense of wonder and discovery, but adds in a flavor of confidence and competence and access to the higher rungs of worldly position. Adventuring is hard and dangerous, but not if you’re good at it! Not many get to interact with the King, the Grand High Mage, and the Turtle Oracle, but I do!

• Epic Fantasy keeps all those High Fantasy emotions as a light side dish to contrast with all the seriousness to come. It emphasizes an entree of gravely serious threats to entire populations or regions, dire consequences of failure, peril at every turn, and the balance of power being against a ragtag band of underdogs who—despite it all—just barely manage to save the day.

Here’s one more, just to show you how deep this “emotion as genre” thing goes:

• Mysteries are all about the emotions of the AHA! moment. Churning through seemingly disconnected facts seeking relief from the unknown, until finally… AHA! Sudden Understanding blooms and we figure out Whodunit etc.

Moving on to Horror. (At last!)

It’s the genre that explores the emotions of fear, disgust, and (usually, crucially) HOPE.

And here is where knowing as much about your players’ expectations as possible is clutch. The Question isn’t so much “What’s Horror mean to you?” as it is “What kind of emotions are you expecting? What itches are you looking to get scratched?” But those are weird questions to ask out loud, and will require a HARD Wis roll for the erstwhile barbarians to figure out. So the way to find this out is by making associations to other stuff in the horror genre.

If you are running a game with lots of time up front, ask PCs what kind of movies or books or comics they think a Horror session will be like. Look for the overlaps and play to that as much as makes sense in the course of the game.

If you as a GM want to run a specific flavor of horror (or any other genre) game, it is absolutely imperative that you advertise the game for what it is, set clear expectations up front of what kind of mood, tone, theme, and payoff the people who show up can expect. (Consequently, this is why @Shadymutha’s LFG announcement was like chum in the water for me!)

To elaborate on some of the flavors of Horror most commonly sought after, here’s how I breakdown the main horror subgenres most amenable to gaming. NOTE: These aren’t mutually exclusive or decisive categories. Overlap will be frequent and arguable.

• Campy/Splatterfest folks are looking for things like Tucker & Dale vs Evil and Evil Dead. They are looking for the fun and laughs—sick bastards!:wink:—of dismemberment, blood spray, intestine pulling. The emotional payoff here is frequent, rapid and more obviously meta than many other subgenres. It goes like this: “Oh Gross! Hahaha! Ouch! CringeLOL” and provides plenty of opportunities to make jokes at table or in character that relieve the few moments of Awful Awful Badness just experienced or witnessed. In fact, with these genres, the relief from the fear and disgust is actually the point. [Technically, I’d really Class this genre as Comedy…the horror is just the accent tone.]

• Action Horror fans (Predator, The Purge, Brendan Fraser Mummy movies) are looking for an experience of fear and disgust that can be relieved by decisive, competent action. The message of this genre is much like High Fantasy up above: The world is a scary, dangerous place…but I’m the lucky one who just may have the right skills and grit to beat this menace.

• Survive a Monster or Monsters: (Serial Killers, Freddy Kreuger, A Quiet Place, The Descent, The Ruins, “Shoot Cthulhu in the Face” style pulp adventure) this calls for a definite, specific threat that gradually makes itself known to the players peripherally, then makes it very personal as it begins picking them off one by one. The fear leans toward terror/panic, and disgust is about having a personal connection/reaction to it. These are accented by curiosity and desperation: What is this Threat? How do I keep safe from it? If I manage to hurt it, will it stay down?

• Survive a Cruel World (Zombie apocalypse movies, much of Lovecraftian genre, The Purge could be here again, too) Here, the emotional trajectory is from Hope to Despair and Desperation, and sometimes back to a tiny glimmer of Hope. The overwhelming tone here is the idea that the world that we used to know and feel in control of is slowly crumbling out from under us. We will have to adapt because things will never be right again. The toothpaste won’t go back into the tube and on a scale that might as well be global and permanent to the PC, even if the public is unsuspecting. It’s a particular kind of fear—LITERAL HORROR (the polar opposite of wonder)—and it often pairs well with the sense of Discovery and Investigation that only increases the sense of Dread and Crumbling Security.

I welcome your thoughts, comments and questions in the comments below.

##########
PS I’m also working on a series of Upping Your Characterization Game posts too, so stand by for those to start rolling out on a semi-regular basis for a bit.

Lon on Horror Gaming: The Second Crucial Element
CoS and ICRPG
DungeonCraft on running Horror
Lon on Horror Gaming: The Third Crucial Element
Community ICRPG Halloween Dungeon?
BLOOD ORANGE AFTER ACTION - NO SPOILERS

This is pretty awesome, @Lon . That’s for posting it.

To throw .02 on top of your $50… Regarding a Cruel World horror play, the true horror comes from the actions of ordinary people who have realized that they are ultimately powerless in the grand scheme of things.

What are they willing to do, how far are they willing to go? In the face of desperation, how much humanity are they willing to sacrifice to simply get by for another day?

Think The Walking Dead. The title is not in reference to the zombies. It’s a reference to the people and what survival costs them.

In this sense, it’s not about a big bad monster. He’s just the backdrop. The monster is ourselves.

In my experience, the powerlessness @Shadymutha describes is the reason horror so often fails in RPGs. Powerlessness and/or lack of control implies limits to agency, and RPGs traditionally thrive on player agency. This creates a tricky balance.

So I’ll be very interested to hear @Lon 's tips, especially for campaign play where preferences tend to morph over time.

@Shadymutha @Olav y’all are jumping ahead, lol! Yep, yep, yep. Agency and powerlessness are going to be the Second Crucial Element!

I might add one more genre to Flavors of Horror. Lovecraft and the ancient ones. You can not survive the cthulhu and partners, you can only delay their coming and doing so you either get killer or locked up in asylum. You dont even know what you are fighting against. Its something big and bad and ugly.

Chtulhu is one rpg in witch you are not sad if/when your character get devoured or goes crazy, from the start it is part of the game.
But the horror in Lovecraft stories is unique and for myself I like that king of horror very much.

Yep. I mentioned above how I generally include most Lovecraftian stuff in The category of “Survive a Cruel World “.

My categories are not what you would see as the actual labels of genres. At least not all the time. And there are plenty more than the four I picked out. But those four are are the most likely candidates for dealing with it the big emotional tension/relief/chaos frameworks.

So maybe it would look like:

Horror/ Survive a Cruel World/ Lovecraftian

Think about it this level is how specific the emotions involved are, and by the time you get to that third level down, it’s a very very specific flavor, and this is also where you start to see more of the details of how that highly specific mix of Horror is delivered or portrayed.

It’s one thing to look at genre in the marketing department way and just say “zombies! That’s the genre! They like zombies? Put zombies in there that’s all it takes to make them happy.”

If this is your approach as a GM, you’re going to have a lot of dissatisfied players and you may even be just as dissatisfied when you’re trying to have a potboiler zombie mystery story like Pontypool and one of your players is here to play a comedy horror Zombieland and another wants this game to deliver a Zombie flavored action horror like 28 Days Later.

The angle here is that once you understand how player (and GM) expectations about the emotional payoffs factor in to their enjoyment and satisfaction of a game, you can calibrate your table and style to fit. This works whether or not the players realize that’s what is going on.