Lightsabers?

So I’m planning a Star Wars campaign, I’m basically using Warp Shell with a custom Loot table, custom Bio-Forms and custom Classes. Obviously at some point someone is gonna want a lightsaber (it’s inevitable) I was thinking:
“Lightsaber, Weapon, Magic damage.”
TAG “complex to learn” = rolls are hard until competent
But what about deflecting blaster bolts back at attackers? DEX roll? WIS roll? Once per round? I want it to feel epic but not OP

Core 2e, page 28 at the bottom of the page.

Energy Blade: a poetic weapon. Rare, High-Tech.

I would definitely give it Magic Damage. The deflection sounds cool, but I would limit that to someone skilled with its use. Once per round as an automatic reaction could be awesome.

though it doesn’t solve the problem, I would say deflection would be a jedi class feature / tag / milestone.

A jedi with a sword / staff would still deflect darts, rocks thrown at them… A storm trooper with a lightsaber would not deflect anything (as they miss any shots anyway).

A simple idea, probably not that though out is, “shooting you [jedi] when you have a lightsaber is hard” and if the roll fails in that 3 step, I would narrate that the shoot goes straight but your uncanny jedi reflexes deflect the blow with the lightsaber, while they yell “jedi scum!”

EDIT: Whoop, it’s deflecting back, not just blocking sorry. Then still as a milestone: once per turn when a shot fails on that same 3 step you can deflect it to another target. To make it quicker you could use the same attack roll you deflected.

EDIT2: another milestones after the basic one, could be that that deflected bolt always hits the target

Could also say that once they are more experienced with the weapon, if they roll a natural 20 when attacking, they can deflect the next hit from an enemy (Or a chance to) with the damage of their attack.

Or maybe they have one usage per day or per round, when an enemy attacks them, they do a DEX roll and try to beat the target?

MAGIC effort – vs. droids or metal; add 1 HEART instant effort on a hit
Illegal; draws Empire attention when used

That’s how I use it. Deflection needs to be a WIS power. Also change MAGIC effort to THE FORCE.

Wow so many good ideas :grin::+1:

I think definitely only Jedi should be able to deflect blasters with a WIS check. Maybe once per round The illegal TAG is good because my setting is at the height of the Empire.

Another idea is to have “Force Points” that the Jedi use for their abilities.

And another! idea I had is a Training System. So in “down time” you can make a check to learn something, in this case a lightsaber. If you pass the check you roll effort against a set amount of hearts. In time you will master it. This could be used for many learning things. Some may require the presence of a teacher obviously.

It would also be worth considering the possibility of cutting one’s own limbs off on a blunder.

It would also be worth considering the possibility of cutting one’s own limbs off on a blunder.

LOL. It wouldn’t be Star Wars with…out… it :wink:

But then they could then use 1 or 2 hearts of effort to create a mechanical/bionic for you hand or other missing limb…