Knave with ICRPG

TLDR: Buy for the equipment tables, inventory slots and equipment quality mechanics.

I hope it is fine talking about other systems, particularly ones that can be mashed with ICRPG.

Knave shares some concepts similarly to ICRPG, such as not really having set classes (the classes given in ICRPG are more like suggested collections of starting equipment, rather than set classes), and abilities are bound to items. There is, however, a leveling system, but it is also suggested that XP and leveling could be replaced with milestones.

The equipment costs page is very useful and can expand nicely the values given in WORLDS. I really like how larger items take more equipment slots, so it prevents someone carrying 19 armor items and a battle axe. More Constitution gives you more equipment slots, so it increases the usefulness of that stat. The data on this page alone is worth the $3 asking price.

Different sized weapons use different dice for damage, but nicely they are only one dice throw, rather than multiple dice and maths. So a dagger does d6 damage, a sword d8 and a war hammer a d10, this is then balanced by a war hammer taking up 3 of your equipment slots etc.

Equipment has a quality rating which can degrade when taking critical hits, eventually breaking. This would slot in nicely in a longer campaign, so items that players are using too often can be damaged and lost, rather than introducing the gelatinous cube when players items are too OP. I would consider this similar to the Spellburn mechanic in ICRPG, but for items.

The usual Stats/Abilities are still there, the only one that has really changed is ranged weapons use Wisdom rather than Dex, which is a strange choice, but I get why. His argument is that it gives more reason to use the Wis stat if you don’t choose to use Magic.

All spells given are non damage inflicting, so there is no magic missile etc, rather they are modifiers to the world and abilities. The power of the spell is linked to the level, so this makes it rather difficult to slot in. Each spell takes up an equipment slot, again like normal equipment.

Leveling feels incomplete. Whilst being a higher level can increase the power of your magic, it doesn’t seem to have any effect on damage, either Melee/Ranged or magic. So a level 1 guy with a dagger does the same as a level 9 with a dagger. Maybe I missed something?

Overall the equipment slots, the different damage dice and the equipment quality mechanics are ones I would bring over to ICRPG if running a longer campaign to add more player choice and usecase decisions on equipment.

It is for sale on DriveThru, and is released under CC so you can just find it floating around on Google. I won’t post the link here encase I have misinterpreted what CC is.

Non-ICRPG games you groove on
ICRPG is a Classless system. Change my mind. (sips coffee)

Looking into it, I believe CC4.0 with Attribution allows to post the original work, plus the guy himself posts the entire thing on a YouTube video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=230&v=Mtf3vDycfmE

Knave PDF: https://img.fireden.net/tg/image/1535/41/1535415977929.pdf, Original work by QuestingBeast. No changes were made.

Knave is definitely a fun lite system and Ben is a super nice dude. :blush::+1: The roll tables he did in Maze Rats are pretty stellar. I still use them occasionally when I make characters.

I bought Maze Rats since you mentioned it and…WOW!..the tables and GM advice was more than worth the price!

@slingstone, they seriously are. It’s another great little rule set.

I just bought it as well. Great resource.