Idea for Re-Designed Core Attributes (BitD inspired)

bitd-hack
attributes
skills

Was reading again through everyone’s suggestions.

For Prowess you have the four Actions: Sneak, Dodge, Fight & Aim.
For Defending someone, Move at a run or Lift a heavy item those could be part of the Prowess Attribute itself, not as Actions. If you use Save rolls I’d add them here.

These items would benefit only from the First point in each of the four Actions. Example:

Tom has 3 points in Fight and none in the others. For Defend he has only 1 point. A skilled fighter but not very versatile.

Jane has 2 points in Fight and 1 point in Dodge. Jane would have 2 points to use in Defend.

Fritz has 1 point in Dodge, Aim and Sneak. For Defend Fritz has 3 points! So for Lift, is he strong or savvy enough to grab a thick limb for leverage?

For Defend, Move and a Save I like this. For Lift it maybe a bit “weak”.

This would encourage players who like to use other “Actions/Skills” to diversify. Using the same idea would work if you wanted to make Save Rolls and not have them as Actions.

The Blades in the Dark might address this but I didn’t notice it in Scum and Villainy with a quick look.

This looks really nice and something. I would use for sure.

Dodge should never be an always available ability. Unless you want everyone at the table to hate everyone else, I highly recommend that you remove dodge.

I second this! This introduces an additional mechanic that will not improve game play in my opinion.

Not disagreeing to that. Was using what was presented.

My game is Space based. My choices are of a different flavor (still working on my spicing).

For Prowess I will be calling Body. My four choices at the moment:
Helm (pilot and ship systems)
Scrap (fight)
Skulk (stealth & thief actions)
Aim (I still like separation of Fight from Shoot).

Having seen the Ironsworn five Attributes I will give it a good look. These have a better feel for dividing a PCs abilities into clearer choice.
Edge - Agility
Heart - Will, Social
Iron - Physical
Shadow - Sneak
Wits - knowledge

Just another idea to play with.

Yep. Dodge is just one of those things that seems cool in practice, but if it is unlimited, it can ruin everyone’s fun. I was just pointing it out because it was in the list. Everything else is fine.

I like it (disclaimer; I also brought this concept up recently). I really like what you have here. I like the process you put into it as well, how you described it here, well done.

Thinking of the players at my table this covers probably 90% of the things that they do, and do often. I briefly read through some of the other comments and critiques; all good stuff (though I do get tired of the reduction arguement…it is valid, but neglects the reason some of us keep coming back to this).

My big suggestion, if it hasn’t been brought up yet, playtest. Actually implementing this is gonna be the best way to see what works and what doesn’t, what is intuitive and what is hard to parse, and importantly what gets used when and how often.

Ultimately, do what you like and what works for you, and keep sharing cause this is good stuff.

Been refining (expanding) my ideas for a science fiction game character design.
Appreciate material presented by Midnight and everyone’s thoughts on that material and a bit on mine.
“Scum and Villainy” is a book providing influence in designing but I will use this in ICRPG system.
The ideas and comments shared at Runehammer have been insightful and inspiring.
I welcome your comments.

Attributes and Actions/Skills

Smart (Notice, only the first column is added for this.)
O | O O O Medical (include chemical and Aliens as discovered)
O | O O O Hack (Computers)
O | O O O Rig (Mechanic)
O | O O O Science (planetary science, astrophysics, etc.)

Body (Lift & Climb, only the first column is added for this.)
O | O O O Scrap
O | O O O Intimidate
O | O O O AC (I’m mixed on this but I do have a player who likes it.)
O | O O O Health (constitution for bonus on poison, environmental and death saves)

Move (Run, only the first column is added for this.)
O | O O O Helm
O | O O O Aim
O | O O O Stealth
O | O O O Skulk (Scoundrel, Rogue, Spy skills)

Spirit/Character/Personality (Will, only the first column is added for this.)
O | O O O Attune/Paranormal (Psychic/Force/Magic)
O | O O O Influence
O | O O O Sense Motive
O | O O O Appearance

I’ve been a Player, GM and Lurker for decades but only recently begun to share on forums.
Huge Thanks to Hank for ICRPG! As a GM I find the system; quick, simple and agile in play. My players and I are delighting in games where we move a story along at a fast pace including the battles.

I like what I’m seeing.

Could you post an example of how you’re using it? Sort of a “how to play” thing. I know you might not be ready for that but I’d like to see it in action.

BiTD and Scum and Villainy are part of my Forged in the Dark library from One Seven and John Harper, and since we’re here you know I espouse that Runehammer style play.

Thanks

Never mind the reply from the more recent post. I missed this one.

Did you design the sheet from scratch or is there a resource I could use. I’m interested in tinkering with this idea if you don’t mind.

Hi David, hope this helps.

Used the Scum & Villainy base (which is used in Blades in the Dark), but for me it needed a little more for a Space game - thus 4 Attributes. Look up the PC sheet for the game. You see on the upper right side is this basic design (and like Midnight’s above). So sorry, my sheet is homemade. For here, I typed it. I do have The Print Shop 23 program I made a PC sheet for my players. As I said before, this is being designed for players who need more framework to play by. Some do just fine with the ICRPG set up. As a GM running Space games, I find Con and Will not to be as useful which has resulted in my experiment.

If I follow ICRPG and the above Midnight’s idea this game would start a player with up to 16 points to place into the four Attributes with four Skills each. I’m working on defined background ideas and might also add in Where you come from (Core world, Outer world, Spacer…). These might give a point towards an Attribute or one Skill and if so I’ll lower the PC’s starting points so the total is still 16 at most.

Attune and recent ideas.
This is the Force/Magic/Psychic skill. To use the Skill you put a point or more into it. PC puts one point into Attune and now they pick which Skill they have points in to apply it to. If the PC wants to be a Jedi with a light saber to fight with, they need the Skill Scrap. I have the PC add a circle around the first “dot” in Scrap so we know where they can apply Attune. PC has two points in Scrap. So when rolling Scrap they only have the bonus of 2 (not an extra due to Attune) but due to Attune they can try to deflect Laser bolts (or other creative Scrap/Force idea). Do they want to do Jedi mind tricks, with a second point in Attune they circle the first dot in Influence. This limits them to four Skills that are “Force” based.

Questions I’m considering:

Does the one point in Attune for the Skill give them a bonus +1 to the Skill every time they use the Force? I’m going with No because I’m not comfortable with that at this time.

Could each point in Attune be spend to gain a Bonus/Special per game or until a long rest? And what is the benefit? This seems more acceptable but undecided.

Part of my thinking about Attune is it allows you Force/Magic/Psychic. So a PC spends points to “activate” this ability giving them a broader range with the chosen Skill.

Tinker away and Boldly Go where you and your players enjoy!