ICRPG Zombies

homebrew
inspiration

“Hands up, stranger.”

Hey everyone! First, kudos to the powers-that-be for the new forum, really love it.

I’m starting work on a zombie apocalypse premise and am looking for some ideas! Here are some I’ve got so far:

• Use the Ghost Mountain rules for FIREARMS and SUPPLIES.
  • Use Beneath the Door’s INSANITY rules, renamed STRESS, and its general suggestions for creating fairly vulnerable, human characters.
  • Really embrace the idea of only planning one session ahead to allow for meaningful player choice/player driven gameplay. Especially in a fairly “sandbox-y” game.

In short, your standard zombie apocalypse game. What ideas do you guys have for making this fun and engaging? I’m looking for anything from new campaign-level rules, to character options, to story hooks. :slight_smile:

Zombies ICRPG

I love me some zombies! :raised_hands:
Have you thought about going with different types of zombie? The show Citizen Z had a fun approach by having different deaths breed different zombies. Nuked, burned, bitten, etc. It was a fun take on the trope.

is that the first use of “trope” in the forum?!!?

Make use of ICRPG’s FAR, NEAR, and CLOSE movements randomly to give differing zombies different speeds. Some can move FAR and take actions (sprinters), others NEAR (typical), and a few only CLOSE (molasses in winter zombies) on each turn.

I’ve actually been doing some work on a Zombie Post Apocalyptic setting for ICRPG myself. Maybe we can compare notes?

One of the often overlooked difficulties of a zombie apocalypse game is the fact that the main monsters are generally all uniform. As a consequence, these games can stagnate pretty quickly. To keep the excitement up, consider different types of zombies (as noted), maybe Zombicide or Left 4 Dead style, with spitters, exploders, runners, smokers, and abominations; consider human factions that cause issues, including military, criminals, gangs, law enforcement, weird sects, and other survivors; and consider animals that are mutated or just pose threats, like zombie dogs, wild boars, or escaped lions from the zoo. That type of variety can really help ensure your campaign lasts a long time with this genre. Just my two cents.

Definitely thinking about adding unique human enemies (gangs, bandits, etc) I was also thinking about a way to do different environmental hazards. Any suggestions?

For different environmental hazards I would like to suggest making the seasons a thing, just because I don’t see that enough in games. For example a snow storm brings other hazards than a heat wave, especially if you are already stressed and bound to each other to survive. Those are extremes, but they could also have effect on the zombies or on other survivors. Here are some things to use as inspiration:

SPRING:

1. The river is flooding because of melting water. Zombies won’t get across, yet it will hard for you to get across too.
  2. Days of rain make the paths muddy. It takes 1 heart of WIS effort, but you find tracks of animals.
  3. As flowers bloom, so do sects. You hear on a radio a call for praise to the God of Slaughter.
  4. Erosion is taking over the hill sides. Avalanches in the mountains and slippery slopes make it hard to pass through.
  5. Some zombies are more volatile in the heat. When infected, the CON save will be HARD.
  6. Sun is shining. You have a chance to bolster your hide-out or go unhindered.

SUMMER:

1. Your hide-out is heating up fast because of sunshine. Make a CON attempt for every turn inside.
  2. Not hindered by human control, wild animals have flourished. You hear the howling of wolfs at night.
  3. Your fresh water supply is running out because of a heat wave. Every Supply used counts as two Supplies.
  4. An argument in the (NPC) community rises up about moving away. Try to calm it down with 2 HEARTS of CHA effort.
  5. After being outside for 1d8 turns, roll a CON attempt against sunburn.
  6. You find fresh fruits on a tree. 1d8 supplies.

Just an example, although I would make them d20 tables and change them to the game you like to run.

That reminds me, does anyone have the specifics on SUPPLIES mechanics? I have worlds and I’ve looked at Ghost Mountain’s description of SUPPLIES, but I’m still kind of confused. Can anyone clarify?

Way awesome feedback guys, thanks! Here is what I’ve got so far:

• Variable zombie types, both “natural” (dude in riot armor) and “biological” (Bloater, Hunter, etc.), as well as non-human (dogs, crows, etc.).
  • ICRPG Distances and variable zombie speeds (likely tied to type).
  • Other survivors (create group/faction reputations) and animals
  • Environmental hazards and SEASONS

How do you guys feel about the players being able to “jump” to other places in the world, and vignette as other survivors sometimes?

I think traveling to other locations is great. Consider resources for your players to be not just ammo, gasoline, and healing items, but also bigger resources like a safe house, vehicles, a military facility, a CDC lab, and even airports. I mean, can you imagine trying to find an airport, secure that airport, and then do what is necessary to achieve flight? That mission alone might entail several nights of tense play, and then the payoff is a complete new location, as you suggest.

Ooooh. SAFE PLACES as resources… Chunks, here we come.

What about character tags/traits, any ideas there? I’ve a vague idea that character tags could be used to denote times to give EASY/HARD tasks, Stress tests, etc.?

I was thinking about a special category, instead of “spells” being a thing, you have “skills” or “talents” or something. Then you can use those and they give you different things, so essentially instead of casting a spell, you’re “casting” a talent or skill or something. Idk, most of my ideas are still in the development/prototype stages

Hey @Anthony_C, so Chris Hatley regularly uses tags in this way. At character start, players come up with one to three adjectives or tags to describe their players. In a way, it’s like having a profession or vocation with additional training, education, and experience. In those instances where the character’s tags or profession can come to bear, he or she receives an easy roll or some other bonus.

i like the idea that 1 on 1 a human should be able to take a zed out fairly easy, but as more start showing up it starts to get difficult, maybe every 4 zeds the target goes up by 1, or maybe a 1 for 1 with special zeds, wither they be spiters, fatties, smarties, hunters or tanks. ie target of 12 1-4 zeds, 13 5-8, 14 5-8 +1 special, just an idea

I love this idea of a horde forming making the target go up. Also, take a look at the swarm rules in the Core for some other ways to handle groups of zeds.

Here’s another helpful site I think I found on the google plus site before we moved:

Something I tend to never see in zombie apocalypse games and movies is how the undead became how they are, other than a disease of course!

What if somehow the nuclear power plants of the world were sabotaged by some sort of wacko group of fanatics and The End of the World wrought by that is fractured by impact sites so great that they reach down through the plates of the earth, causing the known landmasses to slowly split with radioactive cracks of infectious energy, spawning even more dangerous and mutated zombies. Or to a lesser degree it can just give some places a cool Sundered Earth affect you could throw in to spice things up.

Awesome ideas guys! In the coming days I’ll post another reply with my “finalized” (pre-play of course) rules and modifications! :slight_smile:

Add other enemies as well. Bizarre aberrations and evil humans. The virus itself should be a looming threat. Infection should be difficult to cure.