ICRPG Spellburn

Recently acquired ICRPG MAGIC. However, I have been looking around, and aside from the mercurial effects, I can’t seem to find anything on how ICRPG spell burn works. I also looked in the core and it only talks about rolling NAT 1’s. Any ideas?

Check out page 80 in ICRPG Core 2E. The section on Dynamic Dice covers Spell Burn and a few other options for augmenting your die rolls.

CORE Page 80 - Dynamic Dice.

I do something a little different. I really want MAGIC to be fearful even in the caster, so I took a Mechanic from Midlands, which is a setting book for the Low Fantasy Gaming.

Magic player starts with a d20 on 1. Each time they cast successfully then the counter rises by 1. So it will become 2, then 3, then 4…etc. If the player rolls that number or lower on the attempt then it triggers the Mercurial Effect and the counter is reset. It really adds a ‘push your luck’ element to using magic.

The free version of LFG has a d100 table of Mercurial effects that will put terror into any MAGIC user: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/231747/Low-Fantasy-Gaming-RPG

It was pretty well explained on page 80 of second edition CORE book and in fact I’ve used it a lot. Idea is very simple. You place d4 on character sheet of spell caster, starting with 1. On each cast spell bump this by one, until 4 is reached. Then you’ve got situation with overload of magic power and check/test is required: INT or WIS. If failed then for some time player cannot cast spells for - roll again the d4 - number of rounds.

Simple and soooo powerful.

Another option, if you want a very high magic setting, is to use the STUN system from ICRPG: Vigilante City. Effectively keeping a separate MANA POOL rather than using HP for casting.

In case some people miss it… In ICRPG MAGIC, SPELLBURN is listed under MERCURIAL EFFECTS table (p. 22) and its description is in ICRPG CORE (p.80).

Thanks so much for this. It was driving me nuts that I couldn’t find the right page!

I had to Google this same question and it brought me to this page. Thanks for asking.

Why doesn’t Index CRPG have an Index?! hehe