I was talking to @Paxx about his d6 obsession and came up with these quick conversion rules for Shadowrun style games… I thought they were a good topic to share, so here they are!
ICRPG: SHADOWRUN RETURNS Conversion Rules
- 6 points for character creation
- Each point of ability, effort, or loot, is worth 1d6.
- Ultimate Effort adds 3 dice to the effort roll.
- Cap the dice pool at 10 (Gritty) or 12 (Standard) or 15 (Hyper) max.
- Dice over the limit count as automatic successes.
- Dice succeed on a 5 or 6.
- OPTIONAL: 6’s could count as 2 successes thru loot, milestones, abilities, etc.
- All Magic uses the BURN mechanic. But, if you cast a spell during with the BURN status, you suffer from BURNOUT. Taking BASIC damage with each die result of a 1. (or to make it really deadly, you take BASIC damage for every dice you use in your casting that is a failure. OUCH) Possibly even allow a Spell Caster to “BURNOUT” [lose their powers or a point of MAGIC effort bonus permanently]
If killed using this method. I would probably allow a roll with attempt/check against it … Maybe.
- Contacts are LOOT with a rating. They can be lost or gained. You can only gain contacts at creation or during RP in game… you cannot buy additional contacts. (Milestones may say otherwise) Contacts count as a separate “equipment” track with only 10 allowed. For example, Lucas Miles (Gun Runner 1: adds 1 die to rolls for gun info,buying,selling, ammo). If your burn a contact, it reduces its effort rating by one. When the rating is zero, you have expended all uses of this contact. Time to RP to get him/her back, or find another one!
- OPTIONAL: Use ADVANTAGE rule as +1/-1 additional bonus die to your POOL for environmental, and situational bonuses or penalties. Slippery rain on concrete -1 die pool, Shooting in the dark -1 die pool, etc. etc. etc.
- EASY rule adds 3 dice to your roll.
- HARD rules removes 3 dice from your roll.
- ROOM TARGET become the number of successes you need to perform all tests… Conversion could be the Room Target divided by 3 (round to nearest whole). This may seem low but adding penalties to dice rolls from environment, status, situational, or circumstances could make it really really hard. 3 successes is a TN 10, 5 successes is a TN 15, 7 successes is a TN 20 roll… even harder is you include DISADVANTAGE [-1d] or high ground [-1d] or slippery road [-1d] or outnumbered [-1d]…etc.
- Cybernetics are LOOT. Limited to number of Essence points. You can spend creation points to increase Essence. Bonuses from milestones such as partial or full cyborg could increase limit above and beyond Essence.
- Essence = STR or CON stat (whichever is higher).
Everything else should fall into place and YOU GET A FISTFULL OF DICE TO ROLL!
Click the link or artwork to see the updated world primer. … Game On!