ICRPG / Pathfinder Adventure Card Game Hack

inspiration
game-hack

So the latest game I have merged with ICRPG is the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game. It lends itself to the system very easily and is quite in line with the gist of ICRPG as everything (loot, monsters, allies, locations) is represented by cards. It is also a great way to play solo as well for those who partake in that sort of thing.

I typically play a party of 3 characters. I choose characters from the (many) options already provided and then hack their existing stats and powers into the equivalent of ICRPG stats and loot. I use the PACG’s campaign/plot line but do all the combat, trap and NPC encounters etc. using ICRPG rules. What’s awesome about this game is that this game provides escalating decks numbered 1-6. So as a general rule when I encounter a card I just add it’s deck value to 10 (i.e. an encounter/enemy from deck 5 is 15) as a “room challenge number”. It is very intuitive.

ICRPG rules with a bit of theater of the mind plus some occasional use of dungeon titles has really elevated PACG into a full on RPG experience whereas before it could be a bit of a repetitive flip card and roll experience.

If anyone here has the PACG and would like discuss or have me elaborate further, I’d be happy to.

I don’t have PACG myself and never played it but I’m familiar with the system. Interesting take on PACG + ICRPG. I love how pluggable ICRPG is.

Please do elaborate.

Using the ICRPG format, here’s a PACG character translated:

The dice are his hit pints (2 hearts worth atm).
The loot cards the character gets become his weapon reference so I don’t need it on the sheet.

In the following example he would roll with DEX as his attempt, and then with this weapon 1d8+1 is the effort for damage on a hit.

Here’s an armor loot sample. Anything “light armor” adds +1, “heavy armor” adds +2 for armor. If it has a damage reduction of a type like this does, I apply it when relevant.

i Have translated the key aspects of the PACG to the following:

Recharge means make an appropriate check against the spell or weapon target (value in upper right card corner +10). On success it stays active for me. On a fail roll d6 for that many turns of “spell burn”. That makes it risky because a character may be caught with less or no options for a bit.

Banish stays as is. If my character has to banish something, it’s gone.

Devine is WIS for a magic user
Arcane is INT for a magic user

Monsters cards are pretty self explanatory. As I mentioned, I just add the uperright corner deck number to 10 as a “room target”. I also use that number for the monsters +value to all its rolls. I only need to think about how many hearts to give it.

The PACG locations become my scene/dungeon to explore. I generally cut the deck list in half rounded up for sake of time. I disregard “when closing” & “when permanently closed” aspects as I just explore my way through the locations until I find the scenario’s villain (boss).

When I get to the Villain, quickly build him out as a boss (powers/tactics) using the flavor of the card or in some cases I use a monster’s info out of the ICRPG core book.

Because it’s Pathfinder, everything is represented including healing, traps, NPCs, merchants, campaign story etc. If you know ICRPG and RPGs in general, it’s a cinch to connect the dots quickly and seamlessly.

As I started this thread by mentioning, because ICRPG (in addition to being a great rules system)is built on the concept of using index card images as components, it blends well with PACG.

Excellent stuff and well done! Thank you for the lengthy explanation. It will come in handy for sure.

:herocoin: :herocoin: