ICRPG Magic questions

question

I make them do a 1hp cost on even the low powered spells. I removed spellburn. Instead each time the player successfully casts a spell a counter goes up by 1. If the player rolls that on their magic attempt then they get the mercurial rolls. So it starts at 1, then 1 or 2 then 1,2 or 3 etc.

I like the idea of the player pushing their luck each time they choose to use magic. It really adds to the tension of the magic system

Forgive me if someone has already said this, but I wanted to clarify something I don’t think has been said. Mastery doesn’t determine what spell levels you can cast; how many spells you know of a certain type determines that. In order to cast a level 2 spell you need to know 2 spells of that type. You need to know 3 spells to cast a 3rd level spell, etc. The number of spells you know for any given TYPE is also the determining factor in what level spells you can cast.

Mastery is a completely separate track, and is awarded as it’s own thing. It doesn’t determine what level spells you can know.

I actually recently realized this. Thanks. I wish the book were a little less ambiguous :sweat_smile: