ICRPG Guidelines for Creating New Worlds?

homebrew

I have been reading through the various topics looking for guidance on how best to make a custom world. I guess my main question is how does one go about creating a custom world? Is there any guidelines for converting other non d20 games or best practice on how to build out a character class and loot table? Any assistance and or advice would be most appreciated.
Thank you

Some very basic advice…

• Using the Master Edition and Core 2E books as templates, a well fleshed-out world typically has at least five (5) distinct bio-forms, each one typically having either two +1 archetypal STAT bonuses or one +1 bonus and one or two minor abilities associated with the form.
  • Again using ME and 2E, a well fleshed-out world typically has six to nine (6-9) character types (i.e., classes) that help define key tropes appropriate to the conceits and themes you want to capture for the setting. A broad range and distinct complementary differences between these character types are beneficial to your setting design. Master Edition typically defines at least three (3j subtypes within each character type, such as “Assassin” within “Shadow,” and offers unique starting abilities to choose between. ME also defines appropriate starting loot and Mastery Rewards appropriate to these subtypes, as well as recommended Milestone Rewards appropriate to the class as a whole. (Sticking to this has worked well for me when I have homebrewed new classes.)
  • @KaneDriscol has some excellent examples of building characters and character classes here and on YouTube for inspiration.

Hope that helps…

As Chris said, if you’re building this for ICRPG, I would look to the Master Edition for guidance and to use it as a template. Look at the format and try to replicate how it’s showing a world, its settings, and the various types, loot, and things.

Beyond that, I would add two things. Start small and aim to replicate the feel/essence rather than the exact mechanics.

World building is a lot of fun, but you can very easily burn yourself out by going so deep into the world building, focusing on things that are never going to be seen. (I’ve been there and my custom world burned itself out after two sessions). Or at least won’t be seen for a very long time. Focus on exactly what is needed for your player to start playing in the world, and then build as you go.

Sure, you won’t have the whole globe mapped out but you’ll start playing and the things you need will become readily apparent from session to session. Over time you’ll become more familiar with your world and it will grow.

Secondly, when trying to convert things from other games, rather than something purely original, the essence is what’s important. You don’t need to take every single detail that was included in one system and try to force it into into ICRPG. Let ICRPG and that other system be what they are. So if you’re trying to pull in a Vogon, think about what makes a Vogon a Vogon and develop ICRPG mechanics and details to highlight that feeling. It will make converting so much easier than attempting to recreate the poetry mechanic that was purposely built for the original system.

But yeah. Start building and start playing. My 2 cents (:herocoin: :herocoin: ) :smiley:

I’d just offer 2 suggestions :

• Make sure everything tastes the same great flavour
    Establish a theme or flavour for your world, and keep coming back to it. Make sure what you build reinforces or explores your original concept

• Don’t disappear down a rabbit hole
    Don’t feel you have to write everything about every topic, or even everything on one topic. Leave room for the unknown, for exploration and growth

Thank you all for the advice. I think I will try converting a game I have always wanted to run, Skyrealms of Jorune. The more I look at the ICRPG system, the more I feel it can do a good job in making this game easy and accessible for players and a breeze for me to run.

that sound cool! maybe you could share the pdf when its complete?

I often just go through the categories in ICRPG WORLDS with a few bullet points, Past to Present, Lay of the Land, Dangers to Dare, Details to Discover, Folks & Fellowship, and Dungeons to Delve, but here is a good video from How to be a Great GM. I realise that he is not everybody’s cup of tea, he certainly isn’t mine, but this video in particular is pretty good and I recommend you watch it!

Tell me what you think! Cheers! :v: