ICRPG + DCC ++

Hi friends!

In this post I’m going to share my current ICRPG + DCC hybrid system. You’ll also find some things from other games that I’ll source as well. Let me know what you think!

ICRPG:

1. Non-derivative stats are the way to go. I currently use a 4 or 6 point build so as to leave room for advancement down the line. I do NOT use effort categories or bonuses at the moment.
  2. Static HP, but the amount depends on your class (warriors have 10, priest and rogues have 8, magic users have 6).
  3. Tags as skills, traits, and professions. I loved when tags were popular in 1E/2E, and I’ve kept them going. Folks get four to start.
  4. Starting abilities, baked into the core classes
  5. GM Mindset is essential. If I could keep ONE thing from ICRPG, it would be the wisdom in the GM section.

DCC:

1. Spell effects change based on your roll. Assuming both rolls succeed, a 13 and a 19 are not going to result in the exact same effect. A sleep spell might affect more targets, have a longer duration, be harder to wake the targets, and so on. I don’t use tables like DCC, but the idea that rolling better makes a better spell is cool.

2. Mighty Deeds of Arms for warriors. Simply put, it’s a freeform method of achieving the same results that 4E D&D did with their powers. Fighters do more than “roll to hit… roll damage…”. As they should!

3. Rogues get “luck” points that partially regenerate after each rest, allowing them to do things that only they’d be able to get away with (“scoundrel’s luck”)

4. Weirdness. DCC is weird fantasy. I have embraced the weird.

Other:

1. EDZ6’s Formless Magic is good stuff. Modify target number, requirements, and consequences as appropriate. (I’m currently testing this, and may return to spell lists in the future)

2. Cypher’s static weapon damage and armor soak, among other sources. Armor doesn’t make you harder to hit, but it soaks damage. Weapons always deal a set amount of damage, get more damgae by rolling intervals higher than the DC, through Mighty Deeds as a warrior, or smart play.

3. Weapon choice from AD&D/OD&D. Most of the complexity for warriors comes from their equipment choice. Spears rock because you can keep foes at bay, and daggers rock because they’re deadly in a close range scrap. Swords are great at parrying, but expensive and regulated. Yep you can cleave with a greatsword if you have room, but you’d better have a sidearm for close combat. And so on.

4. Player Facing Rolls from Cypher and many other sources. Players roll to act, and they roll to react. Target numbers for defensive rolls are based on the action of the enemy. You might defend by dodging or parrying (with a weapon or shield), by soaking the hit (CON), or some other method. Ranged attacks cannot be parried with a weapon, only with a shield, but can be dodged.

5. Turnless Initiative from OD&D/AD&D/Perrin Conventions/my own brain. You guys know how I roll if you know me. Phases, logical batches, and simultaneous. If second by second difference is needed, roll a die.

That’s most of it! If anyone wants to see the “quickstart primer” for this summer game, here is a Google Docs link. It does not include my GM madness, because this was distributed to players.

Enjoy!

AC

I think formless magic pairs really well with better roll = better spell.

Isn’t some of your “Other” category already in ICRPG ? (player facing rolls, armor soak)

Beyond that, nice package, thanks for sharing it and naming your sources

I like it a lot.

I stole some things from it.

Hey @Micah369, I agree! As long as your group is on the same page with the kinds of effects that fit your world on a thematic/genre emulation level, it’s a lot easier than having spell lists. Though, I think there is something lost as well. Having spell lists means we can have in-setting lore surrounding magic. Take the Dark Souls or Elden Ring magic for example. Those spells are tied to the characters and events of the games, which is really cool. D&D magic has this to a lesser degree, with things like “Evard’s …” or “Mordenkainen’s …”. So I think it might be best in the long-run to use both formless casting and concrete ritual casting.

Hey @Jaune, that may be the case. But, my personal inspiration was those other sources so I wanted to include them. ICRPG does indeed have armor soak (originating, I believe, from Blood & Snow), but the version I’m using is modeled after Cypher’s take on it. :slight_smile:

Hey @Khan, I’m glad this is useful to you! Please let me know how things shake out for you whenever you give what you borrowed a whirl!

Thanks for the love guys!

AC

I will use the things I stole for my new RPG system, which will probably be ICRPG compatible but aimed at D&D players, which is most of my group. :blush: It will be a much lighter and more fun D&D but will be slightly more complex than ICRPG.

I’ll get to it… eventually… like in a few years. :smile:

I also decided that freeform magic + concrete spells = best of both worlds.