ICRPG Colonial Gothic 12/15 0900-1300 Eastern I

By the way for anyone on the fence I also have another player who will be joining us so even if we just have one or two people signed up here the game will be a go.

Iā€™ve only handled well crafted rĆ©plicas, and they where probably better than 90% of the ā€œproductionā€ made at the time. It takes some getting used to, but itā€™s a Pike, that could shoot.

For relying on dinner and such, the blunderbuss and dragon should be consideredā€¦perhaps bow and others.

Again, not what the game is about at allā€¦but adds to the feeling that Iā€™m prepared for anythingā€¦

Just recently visited Fort Necessity in PA. Being a veteran and looking at that particular battle, I cannot fathom the toughness of the guys on both sides. Their weapons were cumbersome, their provisions miserable and just firing a weapon with that much kick over and overā€¦

I would be interested in playing if you still have a position open.

I spent a decade (the '90s) in the Army myself and agree 100%. There is definitely room for you! Just go to the top of the listing and click the box marked going.

I wonā€™t be bright eyed and bushy tailed but Iā€™ll be there. And my powder will be dry. Iā€™m in.

I havenā€™t forgotten everyone. Updated setting and character generation rules will be posted on Wednesday 11 Dec. I will also have pregens available if someone prefers to just grab one and go. We are playing on Roll20 and using Zoom for audio/visual. You do not need a camera. You do not need a Zoom account or to down load anything on your PC, there is a web application you can sign into.

Iā€™m running behind but Iā€™ll get the setting rules up today.

ICRPG COLONIAL GOTHIC

CHARACTER GENERATION

All characters have 6 points to distribute as bonuses amongst their Stats and Effort types. Armor has been removed as an Attribute.

Starting Loot

Pick one if the following:

Jar of Leeches, +1 STR

Comfortable Boots, +1 DEX

Trusty Mug, +1 CON

University Degree, +1 INT

Pocket Bible, +1 WIS, ā€œcalming rollsā€ to remove Stress Dice are EASY

Well Used Pipe, +1 CHA

Flask of Rye Whiskey, once per encounter (battle map) you can use a free action to take a drink and remove one Stress Die. It can be used a second time during an encounter but all actions for the remainder of that encounter will be HARD and the flask cannot be used again for the rest of that session.

Starting Equipment

You can pick three pieces of starting equipment from ICRPG Core page 26 with the following changes:

Replace Spell Book with Weapon Kit, +2 Weapon Effort.

Replace Common Shield with Spyglass, +3 WIS when scouting.

Replace Common Armor with extra ammunition, start with two D8 Usage dice of ammunition instead of one. You have to deplete the first before using the second. Alternatively you can give the second to someone else.

Starting Weapons

Pick three of the following weapons:

Musket w/ bayonet, tags: durable, far, long, loud, reach (bayonet)

Long Rifle, tags: accurate, loud, long

Brace of Pistols, tags: fast, loud, near, short range

Tomahawk, tags chopping, thrown, useful

Sabre, tags: intimidating, military, nasty

Hunting Knife, tags: fast, near, small, thrown

SETTING RULES

Muzzleloaders. After each shot one Heart of Effort is required to reload a weapon. The difficulty of the reload Attempt will depend on the circumstances. Under non-stressful conditions the roll automatically succeeds and the character just rolls for Effort. If the situation is only a little stressful the roll would be easy, moderately stressful the roll would be normal and very stressful situations would require a hard roll to successfully apply effort to the reload Attempt.

Keep Your Powder Dry. If a characterā€™s powder horn or cartridge box is submerged in water the powder is ruined. Wet cartridges (ones not in a cartridge box when the character is out in the rain) have a 4 in 6 chance of being ruined, which you will only find out when firing.

Big Bullets. On a to hit roll of 15+ bullets do maximum damage.

Knocked Silly. Any time a character is hit by a firearm, for 3 or more damage, make a CON roll to avoid losing 1 turn.

Smoothbores. Muskets need an adjusted 20 and pistols need a natural 20 to hit a target at far range. Long Rifles hit normally at far range. Smoothbore weapons use a D8 when rolling Effort to reload while rifled weapons roll a D6 for Effort.

Aim Small, Miss Small. On any shot the character can ā€˜aim for vitalsā€™ which is a HARD roll, if it hits do NOT roll damage. Target makes CON roll or takes a full Heart of damage. If target makes the CON roll they only take maximum damage.

Powder Horns. Instead of tracking individual shots ammunition is tracked with the usage die. Normally a powder horn or cartridge box will start with a D8 usage die. After a fight in which the weapon is fired (NOT after each shot) roll a D8, if a 1 or 2 is rolled the usage dice drops to a D6 otherwise it remains a D8. After the next time the weapon is used the usage die is rolled again and if a D6 rolls 1 or 2 it is downgraded to a D4. If the D4 rolls a 1 or 2 the character is out of ammunition and can no longer fire that weapon until they are resupplied.

Combat. Armor is not used in this setting and the GM does not make attack rolls for NPCs and monsters. Instead players roll to Dodge (DEX) a ranged attack, or Block (STR) a melee attack. Failed saves result in a hit and either the GM or player can roll for the resulting HP loss. Depending on the NPC or monster the GM may declare a Dodge or Block as an EASY or HARD roll.

Stress. Stress reflects your characterā€™s comfort level regarding their current situation, their ability to rationalize that which does not make sense, and to continue to function during chaos.

You gain Stress by failing a Stress Save or by Pushing a Roll (see below). To make a Stress Save, roll CHA against the room target. If you fail, you gain 1 point of Stress (see the Panic section below), in some extreme situations a character may gain multiple points of Stress when they fail a save or even gain a point if they pass the roll.

There are a number of reasons a character may take a point of Stress. Here are a few examples:

*Discover a gruesome scene

*Witnessing an supernatural creature, scene, or event

*Triggering a disorder or condition gained from the Panic Table

*Going without rest, food, or water

*Seeing a friend hurt

*Become severely injured

*Listening to an insane person

*Kill a person

Panic. If a character takes Damage, sees someone else take Damage, or sees something utterly disturbing and fails their Stress Save or if a character Pushes The Roll (see below) they must take a point of Stress. For each point of Stress a character has they add one Stress Die to every roll. Stress Dice are D6 and characters can have multiple Stress Dice at the same time. Stress Dice do count toward the total of the roll. If any of the characterā€™s Stress Dice comes up on 1 they must check the Panic Table.

To regain control and remove Stress the character must ā€œcalm or centerā€ themselves. To do this they make a WIS save against the current target number. ā€œCalming rollsā€ DO NOT add the Stress Dice to the final result, only count the D20+WIS, although they still roll the Stress Dice to see if a 1 comes up. If successfully they may remove one point of Stress (one Stress Die). Some items or characters may be able to assist in this focus and will make the WIS roll EASY.

Pushing a Roll. A character can Push The Roll after they make any roll. To Push The Roll they will take a point of Stress which allows them to roll a Stress Die, D6, and add the total to their existing roll. A character can do this multiple times on a single roll if they desire but if a 1 comes up on any of the Stress Dice they must immediately consult the Panic Table after resolving the roll. A character cannot Push The Roll again after a 1 is rolled on any of the Stress Dice.

The Panic Table.

1 ) If any of the characterā€™s Stress Dice come up a 1 they must consult the Panic Table. To consult the Panic Table add up the numbers showing on the Stress Dice from the roll you just made. Find that total on the Panic Table and apply the result.

2 ) Immediately after consulting the Panic Table the characterā€™s Stress is reset to 0 and all Stress Dice are removed. The character will begin to accumulate Stress again as before.

3 ) Results from the Panic Table either go away after the listed time has elapsed or are permanent unless the character receives some sort of treatment.

We will use a modified version of the Panic Table from Black Light

If anyone wants to use a pregen Iā€™ll have them available at the start of the session. I will reach out to everyone Saturday with the Roll20 link and post the Zoom link in the Roll20 game that morning. If anyone has any questions please ask away.

Excellent!

Would love to play this adventure and see these rules in action.
Adventure report please!

I am unable to attend this event but cannot figure out how to remove myself to open up the spot for someone else to take it.

At the moment the event is full, I was able to source a player off discord. If another spot opens up I will post it here.

Pre gen for me. Please!!!

I know we are coming down to the wire, Iā€™ll have pregens up this afternoon.

Tonight sometime is fine. I have to wake up and be caffeinated for tomorrowā€™s game is all.

Just now catching up on readingā€¦ if there are enough pregens, Iā€™ll take one please

Looks like @Barba_de_Toca is outā€¦ you gonna join us?

Iā€™m playing in GURPS dungeon crawl game this afternoon, Iā€™ll get pregens posted up this evening.

We did lose Barba_de_Toca but I was able to replace him with a new ICRPG player off Discord. I did check with Ardon first but he was unavailable.

Here are the pregens, the names are from the rolls of the Virginia Regiment at the time but I mean no disrespect to them or their families. George Washington did survey the area they are going to in 1748 but to my knowledge John Savage did not accompany him. All these characters were generated randomly, the only one I tweaked the equipment on was the surgeon.

Lieutenant John Savage, surveyor (surveyed the area in 1748 with George Washington)

STR +1 (+1 from Loot) INT +1 WIS +1 CHA +1 ULTIMATE +1

Starting Loot:

Jar of Leeches +1 STR

Starting Equipment:

Spyglass, +3 WIS when scouting

Pouch of 50 Coin

Tools, Surveying

Weapons:

Surgeon James Craik

INT +3 CHA +1 WEAPONS +1 ULTIMATE +1

Starting Loot:

Flask of Rye Whiskey

Starting Equipment:

Extra Ammunition

Supplies Pack

Tools, surgery

Weapons:

Lieutenant John Carlyle, Engineer

STR +2 CON +1 WIS +1 CHA +1 WEAPONS +1

Starting Loot:

Flask of Rye Whiskey

Starting Equipment:

Minerā€™s Gear

Spyglass, +3 WIS when scouting

Extra Ammunition

Weapons:

Captain Robert Stobo, Renowned Indian Fighter

STR +1 DEX +1 CON +1 WIS (+1 from Loot) CHA +1 BASIC +1 WEAPONS +1 (+2 from Loot)

Starting Loot:

Pocket Bible, +1 WIS, ā€œcalming rollsā€ to remove Stress Dice are EASY

Starting Equipment:

Rope & Hook, +3 DEX when climbing

Extra Ammunition

Weapon Kit, +2 Weapon Effort

Major George Muse, Active Officer in the Virginia Regiment

DEX +1 CON +2 INT +1 (+1 Loot) WIS +1 WEAPONS +1

Starting Loot:

University Degree, +1 INT

Starting Equipment:

Rope & Hook, +3 DEX when climbing

Pouch of 50 Coins

Supplies Pack

Captain Andrew Lewis, experienced hunter

STR +3 DEX (+1 from Loot) CON +1 WIS +1 CHA +1 WEAPONS (+2 Loot)

Starting Loot:

Comfortable Boots, +1 DEX

Starting Equipment:

Trapper Gear

Supplies Pack

Weapon Kit, +2 Weapons Effort

Iā€™ll take Lieutenant John Carlyle if no one objects.

Iā€™ll play James Craik, the bone doctor errrā€¦ surgeon :slight_smile: