I want to make a Rigger class for Altered state; any ideas?

altered-state

I really like Altered State. I haven’t even run ICRPG for my group yet but am going to run AS for them in the near future weather they like it or not! I love the player options as is, but want to add a Rigger class (like from Shadowrun) to the roster. I think it would fill a niche between the Decker and the EXO by adding a character who has a focus on hacking/controlling machines instead of computer systems. Thoughts?

So far I have some brief notes written up, but I could see this class being able to create various small drones to support them, or focus on piloting vehicles. Is this an effort worthy of my time? If I do write something up, is it ok to share here?

Edit: Here is a draft of the class idea, with a version for Altered State and a version in the style of the new quickstart.

I tried to use whatever I could that already existed somewhere in Core, AS, or the Quickstart to come up with abilities. Let me know if you like it or have any thoughts!

First of all, I am thrilled you love Altered State. Secondly, there’s no reason a Decker can’t control machines too. Our Decker certainly did in our testing — everything from HVAC to mechs. But if you want to make your own Type, by all means, go for it. If I were doing it, I would take a look at the Dominate Machine and Create Device spells and abilities in the CORE book and then adapt from there. Also, I’d a run a drone like the Ronin Class from warp Shell. Those pieces might save you time, so you’re not reinventing the wheel. Finally, when you are done running your game, please circle back. I’d love to hear how it went.

My group specifically said they want to try a Cyberpunk game, so I was excited to pick up Altered State! It really is great and you did an awesome job with it. I am taking a DM break while another player runs some Delta Green, but I can’t wait to try it.

I was thinking Decker as well at first, and if a player wanted to be a Decker but control machines I think that would be fine. I personally really love the Rigger class from Shadowrun and see them as more of a mechanic or engineer type; less to do with computers and more the physical hardware if you get what I mean.

Oh, and good point on looking for ideas in Core/Warpshell. If I write this up I think I will do a version in the base Altered State version, plus a slightly expanded version similar to the new Quickstart (I might do that for all the Altered State classes just for my own game actually, as I think that might help ease 5e players into ICRPG).

Anyway, I will make some notes and share them later on!