How do I adapt Tiamat's stats to ICRPG

new-gm

Hi. I’m currently running Tyranny of Dragons using the ICRPG system. I personally don’t care about adapting every single monster, in fact, I’m making up all the stats for the enemies. But in the case of Tiamat, I really would like to adapt her stats faithfully to how she’s supposed to be in DnD 5e. In case we end up fighting her.

I’m new to DnD so I’m not familiar enough to the rules of 5e to know how I should adapt it to ICRPG. So I’d like to know what would you do with this character to make the threat as legitimate as possible.

Thanks.

Do you have the Master Edition? If yes, you should look up the Entities who are mighty enemies for your heros! :muscle:

There is not a lot of work to do to adapt 5E monsters to ICRPG: add the Proficiency bonus to the attribute stats and keep those new attribute stats for ICRPG. Add a few labels (EASY/HARD) to the monster for things you think it should be good at and then cap the HP to six hearts! It’s very important, you want the battle to be hard but not long. Six rounds at most.

I can probably help if we brainstorm over messages

Not sure what Mama Dragon’s stats look like, but my rough guess is based on 3.5 stats would look something like this.

The following was a Collaboration between Myself and M1rage

Starting Room TARGET 13-15

Tiamat (mother of dragon kind) Tier IV or Tier V Monster
10 Chunks (1 Heart [10 hp] per Chunk)
+8 ALL Rolls, +4 ALL Effort
3-4 Actions per Round (I do a monster in the middle style, explained below)

Moves FAR, can FLY, FEAR AURA (see Main Body), Will FLEE if possible at 5 Chunks of damage.

Immune to ELEMENTAL Effort, Flames of purgatory (5) ignore a save needed against a spell, ALL Rolled Effort reduced to 1 except ULTIMATE or from ARTIFACTS or Monsters of Calamity.

Actions
•Red Dragon Head (1 Chunk): May attack with Shredding Bite for WEAPON Effort, On Crit Hit BLEED 1 HP per round. OR NEAR Cone of MAGIC FIRE.

•Blue Dragon Head (1 Chunk): May attack with a Piercing Horn for WEAPON Effort, On Crit Hit BREAK 1 Shield or Armor. OR FAR Line of MAGIC LIGHTNING.

•Black Dragon Head (1 Chunk): May attack with Crushing Jaws for WEAPON Effort, GRAB on a successful hit. OR NEAR Line of MAGIC ACID.

•Green Dragon Head (1 Chunk): May attack with Ripping Maw for WEAPON Effort, if attacking Grabbed Character Double effort. OR NEAR Cloud of POISON Gas, Does 1 Physical Stat point of damage per round. Stays for d8 rounds.

•White Dragon Head (1 Chunk): May RECOVER one chunk for MAGIC Effort. OR NEAR Cone of MAGIC COLD, Freezes target solid over 3 turns. Losing 1 ACTION per round until frozen.

•Main Body (1 Chunk): Always Active FEAR out to FAR, CHA or run screaming for the hills… not that it matters. As an action may cast any INT spell. If Chunk is reduced to 0 BLEED 1 hp from any 1 Chunk per Round.

•Wings (1 Chunk): May create a gale of wind pushing all NEAR to FAR or fly up to FAR. If the chunk is reduced to 0 flying movement is reduced to zero.

•Fore-Legs (1 Chunk): May attack with Rending Claws for MAGIC Effort. If the chunk is reduced to 0 land movement is halved.

•Hind-Legs (1 Chunk): May attack with Earth Breaking Kick for MAGIC Effort, on Crit Hit Target flung DOUBLE FAR. If the chunk is reduced to 0 land movement is halved.

•Tail (1 Chunk): May attack ALL Targets in NEAR distance with Lashing Tail for BASIC Effort.

INT SPELL: Flames of Purgatory; ignore the next 5 spell effects that require a defense roll.

Monster in the Middle
As I have between 3-8 players at my table for any given game session I spread the monster’s turns out over the entire round especially if it has multiple actions.

Play Example:
8 Player Turn Order
Player 1, Player 2, Boss Monster Action 1, Mook Group 1, Player 3, Player 4, Boss Monster Action 2, Support Monster, Player 5, Player 6, Boss Monster Action 3, Mook Group 2, Player 7, Player 8, Boss Monster Action 4, Support Monster Action 2.

6 players Turn order;
Player 1, Player 2, Boss Monster Action 1, Mook Group 1, Player 3, Player 4, Boss Monster Action 2, Support Monster, Player 5, Player 6, Boss Monster Action 3, Mook Group 2

4 Players Turn order;
Player 1, Boss Monster Action 1, Player 2, Boss Monster Action 2, Mook Group, Player 3, Support Monster, Player 4, Boss Monster Action 3

Experimenting with Initiative Styles

Tweak and change what ever you feel is not in line with what you are feeling for the encounter.

Were I a Player going against the queen of dragons, I would likely try to awaken a colossus or some such golem like monster and bring an army with siege weapons.

“That’s right I want to sneak attack with a ballista.”

Have Fun.

As a former 3.5 player I, thankfully, never had to fight that particular goddess.

I am not sure if I can completely agree with capping her at six hearts. I do agree that the party should not have to be in combat for more than 6 rounds as that becomes a drag on the game. But if the dragon queen is a goddess then I think she should be a lot like Durathrax, neigh unbeatable. Characters flee before the might of the great wyrm and only those armed with exceptional weapons or blessings may pose a challenge.

Is Tiamat the final encounter of that module set? I will admit my knowledge of 5e is exceptionally limited.

Hearts are a scale but you can certainly make it harder it chop down with traits and features to reduce damage. Reveal one head at a time and raise the TN with each reveal, add consorts to Tiamat’s guard, give each Heart of hers a special ability! :smile: The sky’s the limit but I agree: she should be tough as hell!

This doesn’t really answer your question, but kinda. I would just play Tiamat like Durathrax but with five heads and their respective breaths.

Hi, thank you so much for this info. I’m so sorry I couldn’t respond before.

Hi, thank you, I’ll keep it in mind. I’m sorry I couldn’t respond before.

No worries, did you run the encounter with Tiamat? If so how did it go?

Not yet, I mean, I’m still running Hoard and I’m planing on extending it for as long as possible, so this is for way later in the future.