Hi, and back again

Grrrrreetings, Shield Wall!
I didn’t see that one coming. I really didn’t. I had sworn off Index Card RPG a while ago because I hated its equipment=powers approach. And suddenly, out of the blue, I’m interested in it again. For my players, I’d like to keep the traditional Original D&D structure, though.

So I wrote
Indexcardified (O)D&D :wink:

1. Roll stats , 3d6 in a row. Switch two stats, if you like.
  2. Write down stat modifiers . These modifiers are the only numbers you’ll need.
    Score Modifier
    3-5 −2
    6-8 −1
    9-12 0
    13-15 +1
    16-18 +2
    19-21 +3
    22-24 +4
  3. Determine class, restrictions and hit points for 2nd level and up :
    – Fighters: all armors, all weapons, all attacks +1, hit points d8 per level.
    – Thieves: only light armor, light weapons, attacks +(level x 0,66), hit points d6 per level.
    – Wizards: no armor, dagger only, attacks +(level/2), hit points d4 per level.
    All classes start with 10hp.
  4. For attacks and stat checks : ref determines ONE target number for everything that’s in a situation/room. Do not differentiate between different opponents. Characters for whom any given task is EASY: subtract 3 from the target. Characters for whom any task is HARD: add 3 to the target.
    Rolling d20+mod equal to or higher than the target is a success.
  5. Weapon damage :
    Unarmed 1d4 (only fighters can kill opponents unarmed)
    Daggers 1d4; Swords 1d8; Zweihänder 1d10
    Spears 1d6; Polearms 1d8; Lances 1d8 (double damage when used mounted)
    Hand Axes 1d6; Battle Axes 1d8; Halberds 1d10
    Maces/Clubs 1d6; Morning Stars 1d8; Flails 1d8 (ignore shields/attacks are EASY against shields)
    Guns 1d8
  6. Effort : Effort is like rolling damage, but for non-combat tasks.
    Manual work: 1d4
    Spell Effect: 1d8 for damage
    Ultimate Effort: add 1d12 to damage/work if you roll a nat20
    For instance: climbing up that 30′ foot rope while the archers are shooting at you? That’s worth 20 hit points. Your character gets a d4, and a +3 because he is a really good climber. If you do enough 1d4+3 “damage” to the task, you have climbed the rope successfully.
  7. Timers : to add tension, set a die to a number (usually between 1 and 6).
    Determine whether that timer goes down by 1 either every round (each time another character does something) or every turn (each time the character does something). When the timer is reduced to zero, the bad thing happens.
  8. Monster hit points : 10hp are called a “heart”. Each monster has one or multiple hearts. If a monster has less than 10hp, determine the number of successful attacks required to kill it, no damage roll required.
    For instance: an orc might require 1 hit before it’s killed.

As the rest I won’t touch, I’d suggest for your stats that the math doesn’t quite… add up to 3d6? Actually, it goes over.

Is it too big of a leap to roll 6d6 and where the dice fall note down a +1? Like STR is 1, DEX is 2, etc?

Nicolas, the bonus spread is one that’s been used since the mid-70s for OD&D… what do you mean with “it doesn’t add up to 3d6”? My goal with this OD&D hack is to stay as close as possible to the source material and the house rules “of old”…

If you’re rolling 3d6 and throwing away the rolls to keep only the modifiers, having roll values for 19+ wouldn’t be needed, right? That what I meant by not adding up to 3d6. After the first roll you won’t know the derivation source.

Ah, I get it. Sometimes, I grant new characters bonuses when rolling stats – for instance, when they reincarnate from other planes and stuff like that. Sorry for the misunderstanding.