Help me brainstorm some ideas for a Star Wars game!

homebrew
inspiration

Hello fellow lumpy heads! My usual suspects have just summoned me from my GMing slumber to run a small Star Wars campaign and I need YOUR help to get my creative juices flowing!

My intention is to run the game during the fall of the republic/rise of the empire era, porbably including some jedi outcasts being hunted and maybe some rebel clone action during the transition from Republic to Empire.

Please feel free to hit me with resources, media, theories, ideas, or whatever you think can help me think about a good premise for the game. Session 0 is on the way still but I do need something to throw at my players during their char creation.

Thanks in advance. Cheers!

P.D: I’m also going to be play-testing some mechanics from the Index Card World (PbtA Hack) Thread, and hopefully update those too!

I’ve got these youtube channels you might enjoy, if only for inspiration!

The Templin institute investigate alternate worlds from the point of view of a mysterious, 4th wall-y organisation. They’re pretty cool: they’ve got some Star Wars videos, but what you might want to check out is their Stellaris Invicta series where they have a narrative playthrough of Stellaris through factions they made up. It’s pretty dramatic, a bit repetitive, but they made some great videos and their narrator will be forever missed…

Star Wars Theory: they talk a lot about Star Wars! Haha!

EckhartsLadder is pretty cool too. It’s been a while since I’ve watched him but I consider him a good source of information.

Spacedock is just for fans of spaceships and vessels like I am. They’ve got their own setting they’ve built but I did not follow it closely.

Good luck, have fun! :v:

Totally ripping off Rogue One/A New Hope but if its a short campaign how about the players are smugglers/rebels or whatever and are trying to get prescious cargo from point A to point B, and then run the game like the video game FTL;

They travel through the galaxy, chased by an enemy fleet. They will get to stop on random worlds or have space encounters, but If they take too long in one area the enemy manages to catch up and Darth Vader and a bunch of storm troopers board the ship.

You get tension, a time limit, random encounters, and a bunch of mini adventures along the way!

Some random ideas to get your juices flowing…

• The abandoned secret droid factories have been reclaimed by the… droids. Who are creating a secret society?? “We just want to function in peace”
  • Events on republic planets during the transition for some star wars themed fascist political take-over (riots/chaos/improsonment of intelectuals/etc)
  • Smuggler hired to smuggle out would-be political prisoners to the outer-rim. You usually stick to illicit goods and avoid the Empire… but they offered a price too good to pass up
  • Smuggler hired to go INTO the Empire and smuggle someone/something back out… “Are you crazy?”
  • Save the jedi youngling, last survivor from the temple… “but I’m just the janitor!?”
  • Last defence of planet X (eg. Courasan) that dare defy the Empire’s authority (doomed to loose, save Y and escape - might be a good campaign starter)
  • Power grabs in the outer-rim. The vast power change in the centre is causing major power shifts amongst the Huts… spice just got way more valuable.
  • Your criminals… long term in-mates in max-security Republican prison… But in the chaos of the Empire’s take-over you spot your chance to escape!

the following sites have good SW campaign generators.

http://thompsonpeters.com/eote/misc/swmultigen/

There is a 5e conversion for Star Wars you could probably get some inspiration from.
Sw5e.com

Hail @Nimlouth. I too have been asked to run a Star Wars game for my group. Where did you find the paper miniatures if I might ask?

Here! I also arranged the downloads in a convenient drive folder

Cheers!

can not open files, why not?

Hey! I actually have no idea. You can always download them from the blog I guess :c

Nimlouth:
Will your campaign be similar to like a WARP SHELL ICRPG rules flavor, or more like the old STARWARS RPG game of old? Also, would love to join in if you guys run it through ZOOM or Discord since I live way out west in the desert dunes of Tatooine.

@Feylock The Star Wars paper minis are from Khairul Hisham. He has tons of ‘em over on his blog. Kairul has been running Star Wars adventures since the first Star Wars RPG from West End Games.
https://hishgraphics.com/tag/star_wars_paper_minis/

Imperial Stormtrooper :black_heart:
+(D6-3) DEX -1 INT +2 ALL OTHER STATS DEFENSE 14

• …AND ONE FOR ALL: Roll DEX bonus once for an entire squad of Stormtroopers; they might be crack shots, or they might not be able to hit the broad side of a bantha, but they all share the same DEX bonus equal to D6-3.
  • ANYTHING BUT A STRAIGHT SHOT: Stormtroopers wear fully sealed helmets and full suits of plastoid armor that ignore piercing damage below 5 except on a critical hit, and soak one point of other physical melee or ranged WEAPON attacks (bludgeoning, slashing). Fire and cold damage (including MAGIC) is halved. Ranged ENERGY weapons do full damage on a HARD success, and the armor soaks two points of damage otherwise. ENERGY-based melee weapons (e.g., the Ion Sword) and other MAGIC attacks do normal damage.
  • ATTACK—MELEE: Stormtroopers are trained to use their E-11 blasters to pistol-whip or butt-stroke CLOSE opponents for D6+1 WEAPON damage in clutch melee combat when they need to maintain stealth.
  • ATTACK—E-11 BLASTER RIFLE: Stormtroopers use the formidable E-11 blaster rifle (see below) for their ranged attacks.
  • LOOK, SIR! DROIDS! In Stormtrooper groups of four (4) or more (a full squad), tracking, noticing clues, and spotting hidden characters is EASY.
  • THERE’S ONE! SET FOR STUN! When two or more Stormtroopers attack a lone opponent (no allies within FAR), they will fire in Stun mode and attempt capture.
  • LET ME SEE YOUR IDENTIFICATION: When questioning, interrogating, or enjoining “civilian” NPCs neutral or amenable to the Empire, Stormtroopers roll EASY CHA.
  • WHAT’S YOUR OPERATING NUMBER? To notice an enemy disguised as a fellow Imperial, Stormtroopers roll EASY WIS.
  • STOP THAT SHIP! Stormtroopers on foot firing small arms deal DOUBLE EFFORT to vehicles.
  • BLAST ‘EM! Stormtroopers in pursuit gain a bonus ranged attack (limited to one per squad) whenever they catch up to their quarry.
  • MOVE ALONG: If Stormtroopers take no other action on their turn, they can move NEAR+FAR.

BlasTech Industries E-11 Blaster Rifle—Compact, almost pistol-sized carbine with a nearly useless folding stock. One hundred-shot capacity from swappable power cells. ENERGY damage in Lethal mode; DOUBLES in Stun mode (nonlethal, toward unconsciousness), but must recharge for one round between shots. Also has Sting mode, which limits damage to 1 point.

Armor Example:

A Stormtrooper faces off against a party of adventurers.

The smuggler gets off a snap shot from his blaster; it hits, but it’s not a HARD success, dealing 2 points of damage (D6-2).

The gunner fires a burst from his assault rifle. All three bullets hit, but only one passes the threshold for piercing damage (5+), dealing 5 points.

The space wizard lobs a Fireball at the trooper; it hits, but the damage is halved (D10/2), dealing 1 point of damage.

The space monk closes and punches the Stormtrooper in the face, but the helmet soaks a point of damage, dealing only 1 point.

The Stormtrooper is winded, wounded, and staggered, but with his +3 DEX bonus (D6-3), he fires on the wizard and drops her with a precise shot.

The smuggler fires another blaster bolt, which misses completely.

The gunner fires another burst, but the Stormtrooper’s plastoid armor negates all of the damage (as each bullet strike does 4 points or less).

Fed up, the monk draws her Ion Sword and fells the Imperial Stormtrooper once and for all. Because lightsabers.

I always thought a Star Wars version of The Odessa Files would be cool. It’s a cold war era movie dealing with the aftermath of the second world war in Germany, and I wished Star Wars had been taken in such a direction, rather than just rehashing the old themes over again.

I mean if you want custom character Types and Bio-Forms that’s something I can put some thought toward, but West End Games d6 Star Wars is a great engine for running classic star wars adventures.

I would highly recommend this simple resource.

STARWARS PLOT GENERATOR

I use it to jump start ideas for plots in my Star Wars games.

Game On!