Heart Timer?

My brain just got back from a wander with a possibly interesting idea I want to run by you fine folks.

Timers are an integral part of ICRPG. I had the idea using Hearts as a timer, mind you this isn’t tested at all yet, just a free floating mote in that beam of sunlight through the blinds.

Say there’s 4 characters in a room, it’s quiet and they’ve just started looking around. Curiously the GM has said the room itself has 1 :heart:. The first character spies a chest and begins opening it with 3 Effort, the Heart Timer takes 3 Effort too. The next character takes a recovery action for 1 HP, Heart Timer takes 1 more Effort. Third character begins crafting a piece of gear with 5 Effort, and the Heart Timer has only 1 pip left. The GM rolls a d4 Timer Die on their turn and applies that as Effort to the Heart Timer which is now depleted and something happens immediately with no regard to the turn order. Heart Timer resets.

Basically all Effort done by every Character chips away this Heart Timer (every :heart: is 10 like normal). The GM always does Basic Effort to the Timer on their turn. The Heart Timer does not hinge on the GM’s turn, but instead on when it’s depleted.

So what’s the verdict? How do you folks see this working at the table? I’d love to read your thoughts.

Is your idea behind this to, in essence, “hide” the timer (and randomize it) from the players instead of having it out in the open on a d4?

If the concept is a surprise timer then I could see this working well! Otherwise, I think it adds an additional layer of cognitive load for my one-track mind. :slight_smile:

To be honest, it was literally a random thought that popped up while I was enjoying the rain on my tin porch roof. I had the thought and figured this was a good place to jot it down, hehe. :blush:

Having it as a hidden Timer sounds like a neat idea. I don’t usually hide anything at the table though, I like to run a game with everything I do as GM visible to the Players. I would probably stick a d10 for the Heart right in the open and adjust it as Players did their thing, I can imagine the worry building as it dropped on each of their turns.

Oh! :bulb: That makes more sense then. Using a d10 in the open. So it makes for a longer timer sometimes and a short timer others based on player effort. Hmmm…now that could be fun. Sorry I misunderstood initially. :blush:

Could you imagine a combat encounter with a Heart Timer? Gone in 2-3 turns, haha.

you pose an interesting idea good sir.

if every time they do something a timer clicks down, this will make the party rethink how they spend there turns, or if they just keep running forward.

Okay, just had a thought.

So the “room” is a rotting rope bridge crossing a jungle ravine, 2 Heart Timer with the tag: Swaying. The far cliff side is pockmarked with holes that a cliff dwelling primate species calls home. If a Player fails a roll they deal Basic Effort to the bridge Heart Timer and trigger a d4 Timer on the primates.

Primate Timer: they’re not happy about players on their turf and will throw stones; stones deal Basic Effort to the Heart Timer if they hit a player.

Bridge Timer: rope strand snaps and the bridge sways violently, Hard DEX. A fail deals Basic to the new Heart Timer and player is now Hanging By One Hand.

:exploding_head:

This could get really interesting from a player perspective!

i like this. write up a game around a jungle setting, and ill play test it with you… lol

:skull: Indiana Johns and the Monkey Bridge of Doom :skull:

In da werks. :metal: :grin: :+1:

Indiana must find and return the Sapphire Banana of the infernales (blue banana) in order to stop the Ragging UberApe from destroying all of Alfhiem…

So I was thinking more about it and this idea is basically Timer Damage that Runehammer had a Mainframe episode about. The Heart Timer is only a larger pool for that damage to eat up. Still working up a couple rooms to check it out in.

But it’s different in that your idea is in applying the effort (action or inaction) of the players against the timer allowing players to essentially “control” the speed at which the timer expires.

I think this has a profound affect on game play. I want to try it soon too.

right. lets use the bridge idea. as you step out and start moving and failing checks, the bridge ropes will start to snap. the faster you go the more violent the movement. forcing the team to go one at a time, or move slow as a team. but the dm can still have other timers going for the monkeys to show up and start throwing poop bombs at the party. this will be fun… :monkey: :poop: :bomb:

See, now this is a thing.

Fecal Bomb (Weapon Effort, Target makes a CON Save- failure makes all rolls Hard till cleaned)

plus any ally in close range is also effected. till the move to near or far range

It’s quick, dirty, and ugly; but here’s a couple rooms. Heart Timer is only on the bridge.

Some fine work here sir… fine work
:herocoin::herocoin::herocoin:

Excellent work! :herocoin:
Immediately stolen :smile:

Hahaha, I’m flattered, dude. But you can’t steal what’s given freely. :blush::+1: