Heart of Effort Tracking, Roll20

inspiration

A simple method to place a “Heart of Effort” tracker on the Roll20 VTT when you need . . .

Drag this Heart onto the VTT with the token Bar 3 (Red) set to “Visible to Everyone” as a tracker for Effort towards an objective. Assign it to a Character Sheet in the Journal to keep the settings permanent and use at will.

Heart%20Effort%20Token

Another great idea from our Roll20 sensei!

I’ve been thinking about how I can make the D4 timers less fiddly. Currently I’m thinking about two tokens: one rectangular bar numbered 1 2 3 4, and a triangular pointer. You drag the bar in and that stays on the board, the pointer is simply moved to the corresponding number. Does this sound like it could be useful? I could throw an example together…

Yeah on the surface Tokens are thought of characters/monsters/dressings on the map. But with the settings they offer they can be used in a number of creative ways.

I’ll watch for your example but I can definitely see potential for using tokens as timers. My test is how many steps/mouse clicks does it take to accomplish my desired outcome where less is best. The exception being in cases where “cool factor” is strong enough to merit otherwise.

Ok, I threw together a D4 timer counter and pointer and tested it in Roll20. Graphically it is simple and can be embellished later but I wanted to see how it worked. I set the 1-4 counter in the map layer and kept the pointer in the token layer so that it could be easily moved. After the initial setup all you have to do is move the pointer to keep track of time (you can also assign effects to the pointer token for added info). I think this is going to work well! Here is a screenshot from Roll20:

30%20PM

Here are the tokens in case anyone wants to try it out, if you guys think they work well I can make a prettier version:

Timer%20Counter%20LR

Timer%20Counter%20Pointer%20LR

That’s a solid approach @rpgerminator . I can see how it could save a small bit of time over manually clicking down a die each round . Plus, if using this as your timer it would be one less die on the table meaning less likelihood of confusion with others that may be acting as counters.

Also, because it stands out I think I’d be less likely to forget to count down the timer than I would a using die.

It could be resized to taste and when not in use it could be changed to GM layer if so inclined.