Healing spells on dying character?

question

So i re-watched Ghost Mountain session and question hit me at one moment.
When Dallas dropped (and rolled 1 on dying dice), Jebediah was trying to save him, by stabilizing. But there was a moment of doubt, should he use healing spell on his dying ally.
Suppose one character casts healing spell on another, who is dying. He heals him and makes his buddy conscious, but don’t stop death dice? He can’t drag him out of “dropped” state, but he ads some HP on top of the soon-to-be-corpses?
Coud you guys help me out with this?

If a player character drops to 0 HP they roll for dying. If they are healed successfully and gain HP then they are no longer dying and they are back in the game. If a dying character is stabilized and still at 0 HP, they are no longer dying but they remain unconscious and are still out of the game until they gain at least 1HP.

It’s sort of a cost/benefit analysis at some point. Using a spell now means closer to Spellburn, vs stabilize which stops the timer and you still have magic for later.

This issue has come up at my table a few times and we have tried a few different things. I think the one I like more is making the use of a spell HARD vs stabilizing. I justify it because the spell is not intended for such grievous wounds.

I like that idea, will introduce that HARD roll when casting on stabilizing.

Wow Grizz! That’s Grizzly!

Could also create a healing spell that only works on targets with 0 hp and it makes the healing roll easy. Make it only heal for a small amount.

Brilliant, just brilliant.

IMO if healing of any kind (a cure spell or healing potion etc.) brings someone back from dying, it really removes some of the tension of the game as in most cases it’s pretty easy to pull off (even considering spell burn).

I like the idea of when someone is dying to require either a WIS or INT check to stabilize them first before the usual healing methods can help them. Or alternatively a spell that is specifically designed to stabilize a dying character.

Hey I dig that rule also. Pretty gritty. Lol.