Gun Rules

In my ICRPG Fantasy campaign A player wanted a gun and I said, heck, why not. After one session I think I need better gun rules and would like to pick your Lumpyhead brains.

So far I do:
Damage is d8
On a Crit Fail gun will Explode
On a 1 on the damage dice you need to spenda turn reloading.

The last one is fast, but does not really fit my vision of a gun in a fantasy setting. I looked at ghost mountain but these rules are too deadly. Any ideas? I am considering adding supply to the game but I dread the book-keeping for that and rather make do without ammo counting.

Run with the World rules but give him a powder gun.
1 shot then reload, and repeat.
Guns. Are. Deadly. AF.

While I love the general idea of the black powder “Fire, Reload” I find in play it’s annoying to have a player spend a turn doing nothing. I hate it when I am a player too. It works if the gun is supplemental, like in a musketeer like game where the first exchange is gunfire and then sword fighting Alas the player wants to go the Path of the Hawk.

I think it’s really fun to have that reload conundrum for a musket type rifle.
Random ideas:

Blunderbuss: ULTIMATE damage. Have to do reload action to fire again, roll DEX to beat the target for it to be a free action.

At least they have a chance for reload to be free. Items/tags could add to this:

Gunners gloves: 15+ hit, reload instantly.
Gunners pouch: reload is always EASY
Fine gun rod: free reload after first shot of encounter.
Master gunner: free reload on 2+ (This could be a mastery thing as well: always have a free reload action)

Or better yet: Reload roll straight after firing. If they fumble the reload, it will take a Simple Action. (Now if they fired and fumbled the free load, they know before their next turn and have fun decisions to make)

Guessing this is a fantasy set.

What does the player want? Black Powder, alchemy, magic? Something else?

Reload on 1 damage seems like a punishment, why not on a max damage roll?

What’s the back story of the gun? Is it unique? Is black powder waterproof? Is it alchemy? Is it easy to get more ammo?
Or is it just a magic bolt thrower? That might explode? Instead of using HP…it explodes in your hand and can never be fixed again?

That’s the exact question I sent the player earlier when I realized we had not talked in depth about it yet. Still waiting for a response on that. We both thought it was a loud blunderbus type weapon but not more than that.

Thanks for all the ideas! @Ardon this is great stuff!

I would tweak the gun slightly and have it do 2D6, but it always takes 1d4 rounds to reload.

Blunderbuss is kind of a predecessor to the shotgun.

Going overly complex here. Non ICRPG.
Single shot
3D4, 3d4 single target close, 3d4 distributed on up to 3 targets close to each other at near range, 1d4 to 1d4 targets near each other at far.

Normal reload is equal to a move or an action. (Stones, Small metal debris, small shaped hardwood…)

Complex reload triggered when all d4 match each other. (3 1s; 3 2s; 3 3s; 3 4s) or (2 1s; 2 2s; … when far) The elemental air crystal must be recharged with an action…it costs 1d4 HP for a quick reload or 2 hearts manual effort to recharge (pump up the air crystal inside)

A critical failure results in a loud pop and a loss of 1d4 HP, and a repair of a leather seal (10 minute) field strip repair.

In essence it is a air powered blunder buss and CO2 canister in the form of an air elemental crystal.

Upgrade can include manufactured metal bbs that make the damage D6s instead of d4s, or alchemical balls (paint balls) that have different effects (smoke, fire, pepper spray, sleeping powder, laughing gas…)

Way too complex for ICRPG but thought it was interesting to think about.

Could a gun be run mechanically the same as the arcane missile spell? Could you implement the spell burn and backfire rules for the gun?

Nice, easy and quick. I like it.

Oh hell yeah re-skinned!
Also Burn Dice is an amazing mechanic

How Dare You good sir!!! How dare you simplify my over-complex lunch time musings with Rules already in the book!!! :herocoin::rofl::rofl::rofl:

We decided to go with this as it just works!

I come back to the Burn Dice all the frikkin time. It rocks

My playgroup has critical fail tables for Weapons, Guns, and Magic. We like more strict resource management, so we keep track of ammo and arrows/bolts. With that in mind, here is our modified gun Critical Fails. What do you think?

On a 1 on the damage die, gun jams. Needs a TURN to be cleared/reloaded.

Gun Critical Fail Consequences -1d6

1. Simple misfire. Requires a TURN to eject bad round, clear, and reload.
  2. Bore obstruction. 1d4 TURNS to clean, clear, and reload.
  3. Bad recoil, hitting your eye or bruising your shoulder. Your aim is a little off. All attacks are HARD for 1d4 TURNS.
  4. Damaged barrel. Aim is a little off. All attacks are HARD. Day of work to fix (about 8 hours that can be done in increments).
  5. Unsteady ground. The environment causes you unexpected movement. You fire and accidentally graze the nearest ally. Ally takes 1d4 damage.
  6. Squib load. Barrel explodes. Take 1d4 damage. You need a new weapon and a professional to fix your gun.