GM Screens

Thinking that I might want to pick one up to add some professional atmosphere to my games and a little more campfire effect. Besides the one with the badass red dragon, what do you guys use?

I tried making one out of card board and masking tape. :sweat_smile: It just… failed.

Lately, I’ve been looking for this ‘datapad’ kind of thing, like a play mat? Kinda like the dice box that Hank made, with slots for the timer.

I as well don’t use one. Over the years I have found that not using one creates a sense of trust between the player and the GM. If i roll hot and get a couple 20s in a row and the players can see the rolls out in the open, they dont question it.

I play for new groups every sunday and have frequent new gamers sitting in for one shots, best to roll out in the open.

But if you wanted to get one to hide your minis or notes ect… check out this one…https://www.peginc.com/store/savage-worlds-customizable-gm-screen/

its a little pricey but you can customize the front art to suit your current game and the insides for the notes you like!

I’ve built some nice ones out of wood in the past, but eventually just gave up on them for the reasons stated above, as well as the fact that they take up valuable table space and get in the way of my access to the map.

However, I have still benefited from having a single standing board off to the side that has a sheet with everyone’s name and character name, as well as other common important information pertinent to the game at hand. This is critical when running one-shots or running games for new players.

I don’t use a screen either. Besides preferring rolling out in the open, I don’t like the physical partition between the players and me. I feel like it creates this artificial “cloak and dagger” barrier and hampers transparency.

I can see the fun in using a screen, but I’m also in the camp that doesn’t use one. I’ve always just stuck with an open notebook. Like Alex, I don’t like to separate myself from the group. With that said, there’s nothing wrong with using a Screen. Go with what you’re comfortable with. :+1:

I jave actually never used one… even as a kid… just didnt have one available lol… but i am trying to wrap my head around a hybrid screen … one that still feels open while concealing monsters and special items of interest… their are some cool diy screen out there too