Ghost Mt. Class Help

I just got the World book and I think Ghost Mountain is an amazing setting.

I am looking to create a class but I am new to the system and learning as I go. I really liked the idea of the Wraith but it would be rad to have a more physical option like the revenant from the Crow.

Any thoughts on this? I am kind of at a loss.

I was also thinking about a werewolf class but unsure how that would work as well.

I am so glad you wanna give Ghost Mountain a try, I can tell you right now you won’t be disappointed. I brought that game to my players and they absolutely loved it.

As for making a more corporeal version of the wraith you can simply allow the player to use those class options as a human and not make them a smoke. Let them flavor how that all came about, perhaps they had a run in with an infernal and somehow got cursed with its magic or stole its knowledge somehow.

As for the werewolf I could see you easily go two routes. You could make the transformation a spell, wis roll then become werewolf for 1d4 rounds or whatever. Then associate a couple of abilities like a bite or howl, or some stat bumps, with the transformation. Or you could make it a piece of loot that does basically the same thing. I especially like the loot idea, because it could bring homage to the Native American skin walkers, which would give it a weird, Wild West twist. Here is a cool video about ski walkers, though you could do a les nefarious version if you like. https://youtu.be/6GY7CrTH7zc

Wendigo is in my opinion more theme appropriate than werewolves, and I honestly don’t think players should play monsters unless they are playing monsters.

Then you can argue 2nd character sheets or not.

Traditional werwolf:
Loot item: werewolf bite
Passive (always on) +2 to perception.
Triggers, high stress and smell of blood. 1d4 round transformation time. Stays transformed 1d8 hours.
Hard wis check to control.
Active: +4 str, +4dex, +4 con +4 armor. Immune to mind control,
1d4 health regen at beginning of round unless damaged by silver.
All attacks are near, weapon damage +4. Can only use tooth and claw.
All non-werewolves are enemies.

Bite, changes those bitten to werewolves unless successful con save with 1 heart of effort 3 days after bite. Silver elixir grants ultimate effort to save.

GM can decide what stays equipped and not equipped during transformation.

That is how I would make a werewolf if I thought about it for 20 minutes after waking up and no caffeine. Take what you like, what fits and discard and add what you don’t.

The wendigo is cool, and i love its lore, but the reason i suggested the skinwalker is because its an actual living shaman who transforms into an animal to be mischievous or threatening. The wendigo is traditionally a giant undead supernatural creature who specifically acts to consume human flesh and torture/ drive humans insane through strange and terrifying nightmares. This is also why I suggested that it be a loot item that changes you into an animal/ or werewolf.

But, I can see how making it want to attack all humans could be cool. And maybe it would require a wis roll to undo the transformation instead of a round limit.

Ha, @TheWunderLich your post was not up when I started mine. I love the idea of the skin-walkers and you are right, better fit than the wendigo from a playable aspect. Lore wise, I love the idea of a shaman corrupting themselves to protect their people knowing that ultimately they must abandon their people they are trying to protect or become a danger to them.

Ya ghost mountain!

For Smokes, you could make them alternate between smoke and physical with a 1d4 timer.

They are normal for 1d4 rounds, then become smoke for 1d4 Rounds, then are normal for 1d4 Rounds.

just grab an index card and write smoke on it for the player to keep track on by placing a d4 on their card.

I love that idea, the phasing smoke would be cool. Almost like how Marty mcfly kept turning translucent in back to the future. Maybe the character is only part smoke, a new breed of smoke, or fighting off the disease and trying to find a cure?

Lots of cool ideas.

I am very familiar with a lot of Native American lore, especially the Skinwalkers. So, pulling ideas together…

Wolf Cloak

Activating this transforms the wearer into a terrifying human-wolf hybrid for 1d4 rounds. Gain +2 Strength and the ability to injure opponents with claws and fangs that deal magical effort.

I dont want the corporeal undead to be related to the Wraith as they are cool on their own. I am thinking something more akin to like Solonon Grundy (a voodoo zombie)/the Crow/Risen/harrowed from Deadlands.