Gauntlets of strength... how to

I gave my player (barbarian) some gauntlets of Ogre strength (he took them from a fallen npc actually). For that game we gave him a +2 on strength related rolls but I have been thinking about this… Does he roll d6 dmg with his sword and add +2 to his dmg roll? Or maybe he should do double damage of any kind? I ask this latter question because if he uses his fists to bash open a door or pummel someone… would he roll d4 +2 dmg or maybe double damage or maybe 2d4? Or maybe he would roll his hands as though they are weapons as d6 always? Or he would roll d4 +2 and roll Ultimate too? So many ways I’m coming at this and wonder about what you guys think might be the ideal way to handle such a thing.

Thanks in advance for your input

I would give him the +2 STR on the check or attempt rolls only and not add a bonus to damage. I would allow him to use tool/weapon (d6) effort if he just used his fists to smash stuff or attack. And, like the magma coil, I would probably make all STR-related checks (not combat rolls) EASY.

Immediate success at violently opening closed objects (no effort is required). If the object in question has more than 1 heart — roll ultimate (+) 10. Stat bonuses are about succeeding and effort is about the results. Someone with a high STR is actually just better at hitting in close combat or being athletic; not hurting someone. To me an ogre is about smashing things. Step back from the D&D mind set for a second and decide what gauntlets of ogre power should really do. A player with something like those could smash through walls, doors, chests, etc. until they break open a chest and accidentally destroy the magic item inside causing a freakish explosion opening a portal to another dimension!!! Too much?

Hmmm… I would imagine the gauntlets give damage as well. I mean… if the check was to see if he could smash a door… then sure… +2 on the check but I think the damage would be greater than someone else hence my thinking of adding the bonus to that also.

I like the idea of all non combat STR checks as EASY. BigGrump suggested all basic strength checks don’t even need a roll… just an auto success with dumb level of damage… possibly damaging what is behind/inside. I like that.