TAG HEAVEN, or: ICRPG without pain ;)

freeform
old-school
brainstorm

© Nick Hiatt

Folks,

a couple of days ago, I posted about my mediocre experiment of combining an old school dungeon crawl with ICRPG AND playing this with old friends who are deeply into freeform. It was, how can I say, a disaster waiting to happen.

Still, I think ICRPG is a beautiful game that I can tweak and bend and torture till it does what I want (tee-hee-heeeeeee).

My goal: turn ICRPG into a game that only requires the barest minimum of system knowledge and look-up during game sessions – it has to flow freely, and numbers and knowledge must disappear as much as possible.

My solution: as a few people here on the forum suggested, I’ll use tags. And by ‘using tags’, I mean I’ll use them like there’s no tomorrow. Maybe with the exception of stat bases and hearts, everything and their dog will be tagged. Like crazy. I’ll determine what tags a piece of Loot has when the moment has come. It’ll be a spur-of-the-moment, impromptu decision, just like back in the old days when Dave Arneson and the Twin City gamers invented roleplaying. And maybe, just maybe, it’ll get more specific when time passes. We’ll see.

(insert thinking man pose here)

So, for instance:

*Let’s take the Amulet of the Fortress: spur of the moment, I’d tag it like so – ARMOR, IMMOBILE
*or the Amulet of Secrets: HIDDEN KNOWLEDGE, INT, WHISPERS ADVICE
*an easy one, the Book of Traps: BUILD TRAPS, DETECT TRAPS

After tagging, the fun part begins.

The players write down the tags, and so do I. The tags are all they have and know. No numbers, no mechanics.
When a situation arises where a piece of Loot or a Spell might fit, I roll a d20. The higher the result (I’m thinking 18+), the more effective that Loot or Spell works. How do they work? I’ll make a ruling. Maybe the Amulet of the Fortress grants you more armor, but a really good d20 roll might also turn you into a rolling fortress, with two cannons blazing from your shoulders. Or the Book of Traps might turn into an actual trap you can use once before becoming a book again.

This way, the “Wonder” part of Hank’s “Danger – Energy – Wonder” advice will be active a lot more often. And magic and magic items will once more be unpredictable and… well, wondrous.

I really, really like that.

(update)Tomb of the Serpent Kings – it was a mediocre experience

Novice ICRPG GM: How many TAGs shall I use for my game?
DarkwormColt: Yes.

Might, Meme & Magic!
Good one!

I’m really loving this! I was about to suggest making tags à-la FATE Core but I don’t think it will be possible with how you will manage the tags. Still, I wish you success, I really want you to enjoy ICRPG! :smiley:
I’ll definitely try this own tag system at my table, for my own fun. My changes, however, since I enjoy a bit of numbers at my table, is that I will be adding +1s or -1s to tags to represent which items are cursed or which elements of the items are supposed to be put forward…

For example, immobile +2 & armor -2 could be interpreted as turning you into a pillar or statue. I kinda like it. Thank you for the inspiration!

This sound bite cracks me up, only because I think a ton of folks who found ICRPG already feel this way about the game — especially if they are coming from systems with some crunch. But just when I think I have found the parameters, it turns out the start (and end) begins earlier than I thought. But I love the above approach, running the game only with tags. I’ll be eager to hear how it all goes, as I think there are some game design lessons to be learned.

This seems great. Honestly, it seems like you can run the game with only tags (Players, equipment, loot, spells).

The difficulty range I would suggest would be anywhere from 8 - 12, with EASY or HARD situations.

The players don’t have STATS, only tags, and the tags give them the narrative control or power to actually do the action they want (this will be logical, like using a sword to cut the rope holding the chandelier). When it actually comes time for a roll, have one tag activate their action and then if they can add another tag, they can make a HARD roll normal, a normal roll EASY.

And that’s it! Roll for Effort, deduct from hearts, you’ve got yourself a tag stew goin…

Running a tag-only game is what we did back in the mid-80s when we started playing. I’ve come to like some numbers on my sheet, though :wink:

Coincidentally I’ve been working on this same path. It stems from me wanting to literally sit down on the fly EVEN WITHOUT EVEN CHARACTER SHEETS and play a narrative driven RPG. ICRPG has given me the foundation/breakthrough to do it.

I was actually about to do a little with up on some stuff I’ve been doing. So I will start a separate post that I think will compliment the stuff you’re talking about here.

@DarkwormColt I like the way you think about gaming!

They seem to cement the existence of your character, yeah! It’s also useful to track progress, which a lot of gamers are fond of!

Absolutely, same here! :slight_smile:

I’m actually working on a similar path of minimalist d20 rpg using tags and a simple system of modifiers. If you’re interested, I can send you a draft of what I have so far. Let me know.

Timmah!

I’m interested for sure!