Flocking for Terrain Board?

craft
inspiration
terrain

Hey shields,

what’s your prefered method for flocking terrain boards? Or why don’t you flock them?

In the past, I’ve build a “plain” (brick-force-textured) piece of XPS foam, primed and sponge painted (as Hank did it in his videos). But I feel like enhancing my method. Sure, there are lots of different approaches out there… but how and why do you flock?

To be honest, there are to reasons that kept me from flocking:

1. It might fall off.
  2. Minis might become an uneven (maybe instable) foundation.

What are your experiences?

Hey there,

I’m a fan of flocking terrain but not a fan of 100% coverage.

I texturize the XPS foam as dirt/rock and paint as if making a cave terrain first.

then I take some white glue and pour it into a paper plate and take an old/cheap paint brush and dip it into the glue and then brush it over the terrain where I want the flock to be. (not it huge globes of paint)

This makes the glue be in different variations of thickness and shows more of the dirt/rock underneath.

I personally brush the glue over the foam to make kinda a really crappy version of the continents with the oceans not being so wide lol.

Then toss the flocking onto the glue and let it dry, then shake the excess flocking off.

Once satisfied with the result, go over the flocking again with watered down white glue and it will dry clear and prevent the flocking for flaking off.

some ppl also spray the flocking with a clear sealant to hold it in place too.

I’m at work, I’ll put some examples of the end result later.

Id recommend not using the small stones I did, but instead use sand to keep things more level.