Fire and Ice Golems

Hey everyone, finished up crafting up my big bosses of my next session the Fire and Ice Guardians of the Mountain that have been driven made by the child of azatoth. I was inspired by the Talus enemies from Zelda Breath of the Wild in that they were large golems the player can climb on top of and damage its weak spot it protects on it’s back. I also wanted to recreate the ability for them to throw their arms as a ranged attack.

So I experimented with magnets.

Each piece of the golems are connected with ceramic magnets that are then hot glued to some foam. This creates joints for the golems to move their arms and turn their torsos. And of course detach the arms that can be thrown onto the map creating walls/hazards on the map until the golem recalls its arms back to the main body.

Ill have to make a regular stone golem next to complete the set.

After the Garden

Oh lordy lord! This is really creative. Good going!
I’m jealous of your players :wink:

I love this idea. I’m using 2D minis in my campaign, but this makes me want to create the paper version of this. Maybe something that folds into a box, or something more involved like a popup.

Magnets. . . so simple but a totally awesome idea for doing golems. you could even do some kind of modular Beast with different Arms or something like that🤔

this is an awesome idea. it reminded me of some old school Megaman bad guys, that breaks apart and flies from one side of the room to the other, then reassembles.

Thanks everyone, a modular beast like a chimera or maybe even a hydra is an interesting idea Hans-Arch. I might have to try those out.

@Jordanwmartin a paper version would be interesting, Maybe magnetic tape instead of ceramic magnets due to the weight on paper. Unless you use maybe cardboard instead of paper. If you do make one I’d love to see a pic of it. Get yo’ craft on my friend!

I’m pretty busy right now, but I think I want to take up that challenge. My guess is that it will be something super simple, and not as cool as yours.

So, this is a scale prototype. I designed it to fold like a pop-up card so that it can go in my bag with the other paper minis. The arms detach and can stand around the battlefield like boulders. I still need to make it pretty, and bigger, but I think it will work. It might be a little cartoonish for some, but that’s how I roll.