Field notes 5E character Journals

I’m just going to put this here.

I thought that this was really cool.

Having used actual field journals in the wild before I find these quite amusing. I might need to pick up a set or two, thanks for sharing!

The idea is very neat, however their paper quality is so low it turns me away from their products.

Character sheets in pen gives me anxiety. Cool product.

Have you tried their products before? I’ve never heard of them 'til now.

I use fountain pens on the regular.

Fountain pen use is a formula that revolves around nib size + ink + paper.

So we fountain pen people have a quite extensive catalog of reviews on paper products.

Along with Moleskine, this is one of the worse papers around.

Sure, with a ballpoint pen or a pencil it won’t matter, but anything more… well, resembling a true pen will have bad outcomes with it.

Honestly, I just don’t see it as being worth its price. Many better products out there (on Etsy, for example) and that circulate the money to the little guys instead of a bigger company that do the same job (usually a better job, tbf).

Huh, good to know, thank you! I’ve used actual field notebooks before so I assumed these were similar, waxed and meant for a pencil. Makes perfect sense that something meant specifically for lead would be terrible for ink.

Moleskines are waxed, Field Notes aren’t, at least not the 5 models I got to test as a kit. It’s just poor paper.

Field Notes

They are a cool idea, but I just send my character journals out to an online printer. I make my own templates or mix and match some that I bought already. I can include pages of rules summaries or anything else I desire. Keeping a journal is always a good idea, not just for gaming!

My Custom Notebooks

I use Barnes and Nobles Press. outstanding customer support and ease of use website.

I create the pdf template for each one. Totally custom work. (Lately my iPad and Apple Pencil have replaced my old journals, but I digress…)

50 pages, 5.5" x 8.5", 50lb White or Cream Paper, Matte Cover, Perfect Bound, Paperback for $2.02 plus shipping (typically 3$ - 8$ depends on the weight of the book. with delivery within 10 days)

Here is a screenshot sample of one of my projects being setup…

Custom printing is not hard, but once you get your first one delivered, you will want to build more…

Before anyone starts asking: I use Affinity Publisher and Adobe Acrobat to setup my files for printing.

I agree with you about the paper quality.

I prefer to just use a good, quality, dot grid notebook.

I feel like, for me it is the versitle product of me.