Experimenting with paper minis

I decided to try the binder clip paper mini idea, but I noticed pretty quickly that inserting thin paper minis into even tiny binder clips was difficult to do without the arms on the binder clips, so I remembered that many, many moons ago, in my fabled youth, I had purchased some Japanese paper clips at Books Kinokuniya that are roughly similar to miniature binder clips, without the arms. There is a similar product being sold by Rapesco, under the name “SupaClips”, which comes in 40-sheet and 60-sheet widths. I ordered a pack of the 60 size, and here is my first attempt at printing paper minis.

It’s easy to insert a folded over 20 lb copy paper mini without the installation device that is normally used with these clips, but they still hold the paper securely. They are very lightweight stainless steel, so they will stand up, but they will also fall over very easily if you breathe on them. The installation device is a plastic handheld wand that holds I think 8 clips at once, and also functions as a removers (the clips are reusable), so it would be pretty easy to slip into a portable GM kit if you think you might also want to use the device to bind together stacks of paper.

For my initial test, I made the pieces 1" wide by 3" long, to fold down to 1.5" tall, but now I see that it’s probably better to make them 4" long, to fold down to 2" tall, so the bottom half-inch of the image isn’t obscured. The Size 60 clip is just a bit over 0.5" tall; it’s a bit difficult to see the ruler hashes with my bad eyes and filthy reading glasses, but I think it’s about 13.5 mm for people who are challenged by non-Base 10 arithmetic.

I am attempting to build a travel GM kit, so I thought these might be a viable ultralight option. They are heavy enough to make a standard poker card stand up on edge (tested with a Streamline poker card), but of course those are even easier to knock over with a slight breeze. Should work with a standard US business card, as well.

For homemade base tokens, there seems to be a dedicated tool : https://dmjason.weebly.com/blog/1

But I like to do this image

Ooh, that’s good, and even lighter weight to carry.

Hey,

here’s what I do:

1. Print on regular paper (or even a bit thicker, but it’s not necessary)
  2. Glue them “around” cereal box cardboard (makes them sturdy!)
  3. Add transparent parcel tape (gives them a bit of a shine, a better feel and idk maybe helps to “life longer” :smiley: )
  4. Cut them into pieces (I apply the tape on a strip of minis) and place them into plastic bases

Cheers
glocke