Enviromental Hazards in Dark Fantasy

inspiration

Hey shields!

I’ve got a hard time implementing environmental hazards into my dark fantasy games. I catched myself using the same over and over again - which is boring to me.

My current ones are:

• RAIN OF ARROWS: Numerous enemies (often hidden) shoot dozens of arrows at the heroes.
  • FALLING OBJECTS: Rocks or event parts of the ceiling collapse onto to heroes.
  • UNPLEASANT AIR: The heroes are either confronted with stench, poison or cold.
  • SPLASHING LAVA: An obvious one.

Maybe you’ve got some ideas for other kinds or even reskinning them.

Greetings
Glocke

Objects in the way like fallen trees, dead ogres, plague-ridden bear carcass.

Biological things that explode bad stuff (like toads in a swamp that swell and pop acid or poison).

Acid rain, too much exposure could damage gear.

Blizzard and howling winds affecting sight and tough to traverse (especially Ranged attacks).

Places visited often rotten and dangerous. Collapsing beams, flooded streets, bridges that fall apart.

Darkness causing fear due to spooky surroundings and obvious signs of possible death.

Plant life that is alive. whips, slashes and grabs passers by.

I could come up with more but I have to go now. May edit again later. :+1:t2:
Hope any of these help

Hallucinogenic / Fear-inducing spores.

Raging River that must be crossed

Quicksand

Noisemakers

Exposure- Forcing (Undefensable) Approaches or Routes

Anti-Magic Fields

Do dark fantasy have to mean low fantasy (as in a low-magic setting) too ?
Some low-magic ideas:

• Caged animals or swarms of them : with or without deadly diseases

• Sharpshooter crossbowman : Hidden in a tower, it is easy to find cover, but staying in cover might not be a good idea

• Anything hot : Just like in real life, fire is often a deadly weapon in sieges, be it a tub of boiling oil or a large fire spitting burning embers

• Hollywood traps : Rotating blades, mechanical flails and swinging axes. On dealing one heart of wisdom attempts, you can figure out the pattern to dodge them reliably.

• Weather : From thunderstorms to the scorching rays of the sun.

• Barricades and pits : They often included spikes to deter the cavalry.

• Barrels of dangerous stuff : Guns might not be commonplace in your setting, but gunpowder was invented far before the first gun ever existed.

Magical things :

• Illogical geometry : These cruves and angles are not possible, and take a toll on PCs minds

• Withering aura : An ancient magic speeds up the decaying of everything, including flesh and metal

• Compulsory spells : Why is this chalice so beautiful ? What will happen if I drink from it ? Just a sip ?

• Even the sky : The blood moon drives everyone seeing it blood-crazed