Decking mechanics and rules rough draft 1

altered-state

Attached is a link to my first draft of the Decking mechanics I have been working on. I have attempted to add a bit of mechanical bulk to Decking, while trying to maintain a quick and easy application that I runs throughout ICRPG. I would appreciate any input, comments, or critique that any of you may have. - thanks

[https://1drv.ms/b/s!AsILu2ARTuPmkM8FaasTlIfvIX2Rbw]

Can you give m ran example of how to use your rules? ,… I think I get it but I thought I would ask first.

hah. yes. I meant to include an example or two, but got distracted. let me get to that.

My intent is that these rules will act as an overlay for the normal AS. Similar to how MAGIC interacts with CORE. I think of decking kits as spell books and programs as spells.
Decking activities would be limited by the programs a Decker has slotted in his kit. And most decking actions in an encounter wouldn’t necessarily prove to deadly for the Decker, as they would be beating the TN and stacking up some effort to lockout enemy signals or crash a weapon system.
But I wanted to also give form to actual SISTM threats that could be around; Constructs, A.I., or other Deckers. These things could be counter-decking or engaging in cyber-combat with the Decker on top of the “meat” encounter.
Mostly I just gave form and function to some of the description sentences on pg 37, and tried to keep with the tone and feel of AS and ICRPG fast playability.

I am not sure if that is helpful…I rewrote that to many times. I will work on some examples of play. And I will hopefully get to playtest it soon as well.

after some thought, i think use the rules as written and introducing programs as loot with mechanical rules would be my recommendation… the milestones and starter rewards for the decker are good examples. More of these would be better.

You have some good ideas, but the additional rules on decks just makes more math for the player. Possibly slowing things down. More play testing will tell.

I have been thinking similar things as I have been going over it. Will consider and test. Thank you for looking and for your thoughts.

I like the idea.
Two things you might consider:

• Start with a brief explanation, of what it is and why use it. I agree with @Ezzerharden that it seems a bit fiddly, but with a clear explanation of what the rules do I could understand why the fiddly bits are necessary and therefore be more easily persuaded. Also, a starting statement of intent let’s me decide immediately if I might be interested or not, and makes it easier to come with relevant comments.
  • See if you can achieve the same goal with less terminology. I think the rules feel more fiddly than they really are, because they are presented in a “3e style” ([keyword] is defined as [explanation]. Characters with [keyword] gain [condition]. [Condition] is defined as…). For example, perhaps you could have the programs give +1/5, present a table of programs, and just say “the bonus applies to rolls where the program is a perfect match, half bonus if the program is related” and let the referee and player agree on a case by case basis.

Smart. Yes, thank you.

Here are my thought so far, after reading the DECKING rules on page 37 of ALTERED STATE. I will use that as canon and the decking bible (a reference to ensure I am writing in the spirit of the game).

Click on the link (SISTM MANAGER) to see more of my Notion page on the subject.

SISTM MANAGER

The SISTM is a complex cacophony of digital voices being tortured thousands of time a millisecond. Thru the use of software and hardware, a Decker can make sense of it all. Doing things that laymen would call sorcery. Long Live the Digital Gods - Virtual Monk

PERMA-TAGS

Programs can be made into a TAG, with GM’s permission. Then selected as a MILESTONE reward.

PROGRAMS [LOOT]

WHITE NOISE GENERATOR : Jam all signals within NEAR. Even your own.
SISTM MACROS : Gain ADVANTAGE when hacking or jamming.
NANOTECH : A nanotech deck implanted under your skin. All SISTM rolls are with ADV. You cannot have anything in your hands while accessing the SISTM.
HARDENED DECK : A powerful micro-server with military encryption and a hardware firewall. All SISTM rolls against you are HARD. Takes up 2 equipment slots.
FORK : Activate 2 programs at once, Both are HARD.

Nice work. I started moving a similar direction last night. Love it

Thanks. I started looking at programs as Loot because of your document, and I remembered Alex wrote about using existing loot from other games to convert for Altered State… and it hit me!

Software as loot… after staring at the DECKER class starter rewards and milestones for a few minutes, it started make sense.

Shadowrun has a lot of programs that could work, but LOOT based conversions would be an easy fix… especially magical loot like potions scrolls and even some magic weapons would convert into SISTM programs for Deckers.

I think it’s a brilliant use of existing LOOT and a cool concept. (Thanks to Alex and Hankerin for coming up with the idea!) … Game On!

For real. Shedding my old thought processes is rough, but fun and rewarding. I love it.

I can’t access your SISTM Manager. Is it still available?

try this link…

That works! Very cool ideas there…