Decent video advice for new GMs

question
youtube-convos

New GM advice ;

It is sometimes hard to provide new GMs with advice on how to do things or how to think about things. I kind of pride myself in being able to put myself in someone’s shoes…but 20 years of thinking in certain ways is hard to boil down or remember the emotional impact of.

Do you remember what the thoughts in your head where when your first kiss with tongue where??? I kind of remember, but not really, I remember the aftermath better…but that it another embarrassing story.

Back on topic.
Here is a video that does not apply to ICRPG per se but does apply to fresh GMs.

I think this is solid advice and hope new GMs can learn from it. 90% of this I think is obvious, but I’ve been GMing on and off for over 20 years. I’ve forgotten how certain players knowledge might intimidate me…honestly it never did, I’m a narcissistic ass, and understood how story along with player fun was more important than rules, but I was wrong, and ok with it.

Not everyone is ok with being wrong, and more importantly many today are not ok with being wrong and making the person who is right feeling wrong for telling you that you are wrong.

So that is in part why I think this video is worth watching.

Also, I’ve always been ok with being wrong, I just might need you to prove your point.
I know stupid self value, but it worked for me till my 40’s. Now I see how silly I have been/or am at times.

This is great basic advice. I’ve been revisiting the basics lately (17 years as a GM for me) and it’s been a boon. Like learning a martial art (or any art) it’s helpful periodically to circle back to the basics with your more-experienced perspective.

Advice like this is always handy, especially from someone who is new to the hobby. Thanks for sharing.

Totally agree on the circling back to study the basics…
But it’s hard with GMing.
Just a table, dice, notes and character sheets? No setting mood, no hand outs, no maps, no voices, no affliction to your speech, no time management, no reading the body language of your players?

I’m not sure how to get to basics, though I am totally sure how rusty I have become.

I’d call maps, time management and reading body language basics.