D&D Systems Reference Document

ICRPG is my first RPG system that captured me. I tried getting into D&D about 20 years ago, but it didn’t quite happen. So I feel I lack the knowledge of history and context on some of the systems and mechanics, that perhaps is somewhat assumed to be base knowledge. I present the lack of Monsters in ICRPG as an example of this. I don’t really want to buy the official D&D stuff, as I am enjoying the hacky and creative nature of a DIY system, but I do wish for some knowledge on it’s systems.

I don’t know if everyone knows about this already, but I have just found the D&D Systems Reference Document, which is a free, no-fluff version of how the mechanics in D&D works compressed into a tiny 403 page document /s.

Downloadable here:
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/systems-reference-document-srd

Direct Link:

There are great tables on the cost of things, how the spells work, races, on a pure engineering level. The best section is the Monsters, which just simply lists stat blocks without fluff, ripe to be brought over to ICRPG.

goblinstats

Compare this with Gerblins in Core p.116.

Is this post a resource share? Not sure what your intent is.

I’m not trying to be contentious here, but as someone who did play in the first wave of D&D And was unable to get back engaged with newer editions because of all the complexity creep and such, I have to say this is a good reminder of what ICRPG tends to do very well: Provide a system wide framework that promotes rulings over rules, and strips away all the fluff and bloat that stands between a table full of bored, brainburnt people and an exciting night chucking dice and having fun playing a Heroic storytelling game.

Don’t get me wrong, there’s a lot of good in every edition of D&D. And there are times when pages and pages of tables and rules for every situation can be handy or at least inspiring.

But for me, the ICRPG approach is hands down, without question going to make more “fun-at-table” possible than any amount of extra rules to quibble over for every situation. If I want to play an RPG, I want to play it… not spend the whole session slamming the brakes on fun every other second to look in a bunch of books to make sure we use the correct rule for assigning hit points to a gnat’s ass. :cowboy_hat_face:

YMMV!

@Kreeba You’re not missing much with other systems. As far as WOTC’s stuff, they generally tend to be overly wordy cash grabs, imho. That being said, there are some cool books. The monster manual is worth your time, if anything, for inspiration. It doesn’t take too much to hack the monsters for ICRPG use.

I agree with @Alex. I own the 3rd edition Monster Manual. I just use it for inspiration. Feel free to use ANY monster from any system. It’s easy to create monsters for ICRPG. Just have fun with it. :sunglasses:

Yes. It is just intended as a resource share. I have done the same for a few other systems and settings books.

Can’t preach this enough brother.