Corners vs. center of the room

Greetings all. Being new to the RPG/ICRPG since finding Dungeon and Dragons for my son and myself, I was wondering on how everyone puts their monsters/enemies in the room. I have experience entering rooms and clearing rooms, but I don’t want that to spill into ICRPG. But, do players gain easy vs. hard by entering a room quietly vs. rushing to the center? Does anyone account for this in their rolls? My son is too young to understand, however I would like to evolve with him and his play. Do you make the room target + 3 if they storm in and do you give a -3 if they enter and hug the walls etc. ? I like realism but I don’t want to make it more than it needs to be if that makes sense. I would love to hear all of your ideas since you’ve made my experience here awesome and my son and his friends loveeeeee playing this way. Thanks everyone, Kevin

I place my monsters where the players least expect, unless the room is void of any features (which is rare). As for the rest of your questions…

Do players gain easy vs. hard by entering a room quietly vs. rushing to the center?

Yes, I do this or grant ADVANTAGE (ala 5e rules) but never both!

Game On!

awesome. I know how confusing and tense entering the fatal funnel can be and I think it can add a level of excitement/danger in ICRPG. Thank you for the response.

I’d say it depends on the situation. If the players are sneaking into a room and the occupants of that room are engaged in some dark ritual, they’re likely not watching the door so the player characters have an easier time of it. Whether that’s a lower initial Target Number or an EASY roll or something else, it’s up to you!

If the party is chasing a baddie who runs into a room and slams the door, then there’s no way in the narrative that they’re going to be able to sneak in unnoticed.

I generally try to reward the players for being clever and crafty, but that doesn’t always need to be an EASY roll. Maybe they get an extra action at the start of the ensuing combat. Maybe I reveal some detail of the room that wouldn’t have been obvious if they barged in at full speed.

Oh I like that. Thank you!

I’ve actually tried giving different areas in an encounter different TN to allow players to use a little more environmental storytelling. Not sure if that helps, but you could give that a try for making the environment a tactical element. :slight_smile:

The great thing about icrpg is that if you feel players should get the bonus of an easy target due to their approach, then just do it. Give them a round or two where the bad guys are caught off guard and not prepared. It will promote creative thinking, and fun. :slight_smile:

I usually have larger “rooms” where the players and monsters aren’t necessarily aware of each other from the beginning. In these cases, I decide placement when planning the encounter - including “players enter here”.

In other situations (such as chance encounters, and smaller rooms) I start by deciding which side has initiative, depending on their actions (like sneaking) or else on a d6 roll. If the monsters lose initiative, I place them first and then let the players place their characters wherever. If the monsters win, the opposite.