Core book spells and magic- Can someone outline how these work

Hello, I’m new to ICRPG, and am learning about it by watching videos and reading through the Master ed.

I’m a little lost on how the basic or code magic system works. Does a magic user start with a basic number of spells? Can they pick any off the list on Pg 46-49? I saw in the more advanced system there is a cost for casting but at this core level is there a cost? or can a mage cast as much as they want?

Is there a spellbook required for mages? How does that work? I assume it takes up an item slot. How do preist collect spells?

I know it’s a lot of questions, sorry. Maybe someone can direct me to a YT video or a page in one of the book that explains it a bit better.

Thanks!

Core (Player’s Guide) Spellcasting:

• Spells are first given via Starting Loot. More spells can be learned in-game, or gained via LOOT or MILESTONES.

• Spellbooks are not required. Spells do not take up inventory slot in this edition (1e they did).

• To cast any of these SPELLS, roll d20+INT or WIS (the list the spell is in dictates which) against the TARGET. If you succeed, you cast it. They have no cost. They can cast as long as they can pass the spellcasting Check.

• Priests collect spells the same way Mages do: LOOT. ICRPG is a LOOT-based game and spellcasters are included in that.

MAGIC (chapter) spellcasting:

• Spells do have a cost to cast, because they have POWER levels. That MAGIC system also allows for picking INT and WIS spells at the same time, which the Mage and Priest cannot do from the start.

• MAGIC is a completely alternate and optional system. What’s in that chapter does not apply to the Player’s Guide.

In my games, spells are loot. I like to treat them as scrolls, usually, but they don’t crumble upon use. Anyone can use them, not just mages. A priest can cast an INT spell, and a mage can cast a WIS spell.

Starting spells are chosen at character creation time. If you want more spells, you forego basic loot like armor or weapons. Yes, you can pick any spells you want. Even a fighter or thief could pick spells if they wanted.

There is no spell book, rules as written, but you could use that for your games if you like it.

Players roll to cast. They need to beat the current target number to succeed.

The “how do you get new spells” question isn’t really answered, for either mages or priests. You could have a priest’s deity bestow a new spell upon them. They could find a holy relic that confers the spell ability. They could ask at a temple for any spells they could learn.

I know this isn’t super helpful, at first, but it frees you as the GM / storyteller to get creative. Make it your own, for your own game. Do you want all priests to carry around prayer beads infused with magic? Sweet; adding a new bead unlocks a new spell. Do want priests to pray for holy power? There you go, divine inspiration grants the magic spells.

Same for mages. A mage could find a spell scrawled on a jail cell wall, or unlock it from a gemstone.

This all opens up a lot more creativity. But if you’re struggling, you can always play it safe and say mages need a spell book, and need to memorize their spells. Lack of spell slots means maybe they forget their spells when they sleep at night?

Hey Starfyre,

The above answers are great! But, I do want to clarify one inaccuracy as to the rules as written. As usual, you should adapt and modify as necessary - but I want to make sure you know the rules as they’re written so you know if you’re making a change.

INT spells do indeed take up inventory slots in Master Edition (p. 47 at the top of the list). Compare to WIS spells on the next page, which do not take up inventory slots.

Additionally, in MAGIC, you do not always have to roll to cast. You have the option to burn the spell for an automatic success (p. 319).

AC

If you are new to ICRPG (in any edition), you might find a little initial discomfort with the openness available to interpret the rules as written, especially if you come from an RPG background that includes “crunchier,” more litigious, verbose descriptions of rule for spells, abilities, and classes (such as the world’s most popular roleplaying game…). Some games attempt to lock down every conceivable instance and edge case where game rules might apply. This is virtually impossible. ICRPG does not.

You have been presented with lots of advice so far, and almost all of it is very good and based on accurate references and logical interpretation of published sources. I would call your attention to the most salient advice concerning arcane magic presented in the Core 2.0 rulebook (p. 46):

“Work with your GM to modify anything and everything about INT SPELLS.”

This guideline can and should be extended to virtually every application of the written rules in ICRPG: work with the GM. If you are fortunate enough to BE the GM, simply strive for playability, common sense, consistency, verisimilitude, and fairness in your rulings that expand upon the written rules presented in the text, and you will almost certainly have a happy table and a very good game.

That said, I offer the following specific comments referencing the text from Core 2.0…

It has been suggested above that in Core 2.0, INT spells do not take up inventory space. I disagree.

On p. 46, it says, “INT SPELLS, when acquired as LOOT, come in the form of scrolls mostly, torn pages, or other writing. Can be freely traded but then MUST BE EQUIPPED or CARRIED. Only EQUIPPED INT SPELLS can be used.” Most INT spells a character will have access to (other than a Mage’s starting spellcasting ability for a suggested spell like Arcane Missile) are likely to be acquired as loot, including some spells awarded as milestone abilities, depending upon the GM’s narrative. Loot in ICRPG (by and large) does take up inventory space, and I think the stated distinction Core 2.0 makes between carried versus equipped INT spells lends further direct support to the idea that INT spells should be treated as loot that take up space. Why make the distinction regarding which inventory list a character’s INT spells inhabit if characters can carry an infinite amount of them in either? Further strong suggestion that Core 2.0 treats INT spells as space-occupying loot exists on p. 45, where it contrasts WIS spells as “occupy[ing] no gear slots,” and in Master Edition, which includes the Spell Scholar ability, one feature of which is to erase specifically the inventory requirements for INT spells. That all stands as evidence that is hard to controvert. It is perfectly fine to adopt a house rule that ignores the inventory requirement for INT spells, but it is probably inaccurate to claim that the rules as written specifically define them as zero-inventory constructs in the Core 2.0 game.

@skippy’s advice above is superb, especially when he encourages you to get creative, and the examples he gives of his own house rules are thoughtful, playable, and very reasonable—even if some of them differ substantially from my own house rules. I know I would have a good time playing if I were ever in a session that @skippy was GMing, even with different rules, because I think we agree upon the core fundamentals of ICRPG as a game system, and I hope he would feel the same way at my table…

This is the beauty of an elegant, streamlined RPG system like ICRPG.

ETA: I agree with what @Anthony_C says; he sneaked that post in while I was typing…

Fell free to do what seems like the most fun to you. I use little hack of the advanced magic system. In my system all spells are 1st level spells and cost 1 HP to cast, then 1 extra HP for each Power Level up to 4. Each power level allows for more effect, range, target, duration, damage, etc. So if a PC has a fire bolt spell, they can add 1 PL to boost damage, another to add another target, etc. This makes spells dynamic and allows for creativity.