Converting Pathfinder Classes to ICRPG

classes
homebrew
pathfinder
conversion

I might be part of a Pathfinder game that’s going to be converted to ICRPG. There’s one major hangup so far: the classes.

It’d be a major turn off if the our old, iconic characters couldn’t be properly translated to the new system. I have some ideas on how to carry most of them over, but a few are a bit more tricky. I’ll go over them.

There is:

A human paladin. Not too hard. Priest maybe. Holy spells, armor, big sword.

An rock-man brawler. Basically a shield fighter who’s also made out of rocks. Definitely a guardian with a magic shield.

A Fetchling assassin. This one isn’t too hard either. He’s sort of your standard knife wielding rogue.

The last three are a bit tricky.

A psionic elf archer. This guy had a magic crystal ghost brother. Think Talion and Celebrimbor from Shadow of Mordor. They could work in tandem and enhance each other’s abilities.

A half-elf summoner. The summon could summon up a dragon as his personal eidolon. He could also summon up other monsters and open up portals. He had a big thing for utility. Representing his dragon is the biggest challenge. She grew as he levelled up and was one of the biggest damage dealers in the party. There was a solid amount of customizability that went into creating the eidolon, but I don’t think that would be represented in ICRPG.

An orc kineticist. Thing Avatar, but the Airbending anime, and not the movie with the blue cat people. She controlled the elements and bent them to her whim.

I think I’ve got the basics down, but it’d be so awesome if someone with a bit more experience could lend a hand. I know a lot of it comes down to personal table preference, but I like to hear other people’s opinions.

If you have any insight, it’d be greatly appreciated. I’ll try drawing on inspiration from all of the books, if possible.

In theory, you can translate anything to ICRPG but the recommended way is to recreate them in ICRPG instead of trying to directly convert them to avoid recreating every minute detail and bloating the game.

My suggestion is, try to determine the dominant abilities of each of the characters. What comes first to your mind when you think of your human paladin for example? He does this and that. Note them down. Do this for all characters and you’ll have their most important abilities/powers/skills. Then give them appropriate TAGS and LOOT for those things.

You only need to cover and convert the most used and most defining aspects for the classes. This also depends on the players’ play style.

Obviously you will lose detail in mechanics like your summoner’s dragon. This is to be expected and this is also one of the reasons to switch to ICRPG. I suggest that you create it as another character and give it STATS, EFFORT, LOOT and TAGS. You’ll have as much detail as you want that way, but don’t sweat the details.

The rest of the classes look easy to convert.

I second @Khan conversion breaks down due to the difference in mechanics.

While I hate to say this, implementing elements of icrpg, like room target, then initiative, then effort, might be the route.

And running a one off with secondary or side kick characters or run The Last Flight of the Red Sword. Before stuffing in characters from a different mechanic.

Save it for a day one of your players is out.

If you would be able to post the character sheets of the PC’s you want converted, I might be able to give you a good translation into ICRPG…

Following! I have some diablo 3 players wanting me to make a crusader and necromancer class for them. They are totally new to table top rpg so the challenge is to make the gameplay flow smoothly for them while using a path that feels familiar with them. So I’m kinda in the same boat.

I will definitely dig those up and send them your way. I appreciate it.

I would love to see a Necromancer class for ICRPG

when i get it a little more drilled out ill post it up.

I have always loved the Necromancer class from Daiblo.