Conversion Blues

icrpg
shadowrun

Well if you haven’t already, I would recommend you play it with ICRPG rules as written (despite your lust for fistfulls of dice). Although you d6 design notes are intriguing.

You would be surprised at how much you are not missing. It is flavorful, fast, and most of all it feels like Shadowrun should have been played… there are a few mechanics that I would like to see added that I just haven’t gotten to do, yet. But all in all, I like playing it with ICRPG.

There is also a Dungeon World version of Shadowrun called SIXTH WORLD that was quite impressive in it brevity and speed of play, but once I tried ICRPG Shadowrun… it was a no brainer … Game On!

P.S. I am not advocating that your system/method is bad. A lot of experience with both systems has shown me how ICRPG opened up the world of Shadowrun (and many other games) to greater storytelling. Less drudging thru long combats. The rules got out of the way and let me play like a kid again. Honestly, I would love to see @Runehammer run a game of Shadowrun using his rules and style. Just sayin’

Regarding your system design method on d6 dice pools… Here are my thoughts on how it could be done…

SHADOWRUN ICRPG STYLE

• 6 points for character creation
  • Each point of ability, effort, or loot, is worth 1d6.
  • Cap the dice pool at 10 or 12 max.
  • Dice over the limit count as automatic successes.
  • Dice succeed on a 5 or 6.
  • OPTIONAL: 6’s could count as 2 successes thru loot, milestones, abilities, etc.
  • All Magic uses the BURN mechanic. But, if you cast a spell during with the BURN status, you suffer from BURNOUT. Taking BASIC damage for every spell cast. (or to make it really deadly, you take BASIC damage for every dice you use in your casting that is a failure. OUCH) Possibly even allow a Spell Caster to “Burnout” if killed using this method. I would probably allow a roll with attempt/check against it … Maybe.
  • Contacts are like Loot with an Effort rating. They can be lost or gained. Count them as a separate Equipment track with only 10 allowed. For example, Lucas Miles (Gun Runner) BASIC (adds 1 die).
  • OPTIONAL: Use ADVANTAGE rule as +1/-1 additional bonus die to your POOL for environmental, and situational bonuses or penalties.
  • EASY rule adds 3 dice to your roll.
  • HARD rules removes 3 dice from your roll.
  • ROOM TARGET become the number of successes you need to perform all tests… Conversion could be the Room Target divided by 3.

Everything else should fall into place.
AND YOU GET A FISTFULL OF DICE TO ROLL!

I hope this helps … … … Game On!

First: Man, this thread is the type of discussion that keeps me coming back to this forum. Thank you all.

Second, I too have recently been pondering the fistsfull of d6 and the dice pool. Because my math skills are rusty and atrophied, I got a lot of help from this dice pool calculator:http://www.unseelie.org/cgi-bin/dicepo.cgi?

I used it for some down-n-dirty visuals:

Now I can see the relationships and intuit the impact of:
• raising the target number
• items, attribute or skills adding dice to the pool

SO… if success is only on a 6 and you have 15d6 pool
• a target number of 6 is possible, but not very likely at 2.74%
• a total failure of zero (would that be a critical fail?) is 6.49%
• the curve on target numbers 1-6 is pretty smooth

Does anyone here know the equation from Scott Gray’s dice pool calculator above? He shares his script, but I’m no programmer and lose the math in his counter loops.

That said, do I really want everyone rolling giant piles of dice? Still pondering that one. Probably another “Great Taste. Less Filling.” debate. I loves me a gazillion dice bouncin’ all over da table. Oh, it’s so loud and the table is never big enough.

Then there’s this:

For me, the above Year Zero Mini crystallizes the threads I’ve been reading recently, including the 16HP dragon… but I digress.