Community ICRPG Halloween Dungeon?

inspiration

That was my thought too, a Haunted House one off adventure; a mansion leading down to the crypts would be awesome

Sure thing!! :smiley:

Its up on the discord but I figured I’d drop it here as well just in case.
Rough draft 1

#4 Skill Checks

As you enter the chamber a putrid smell of rotten leaves and old vegetables wafts over the entire party. At the end of the long stretch of ancient walls you see an ominous glowing smile leering out at you from the darkness. A giant Jack o’ Lantern, half rotten, fills the entirety of the back wall and its flickering flame is the only light cast in the room. Peering past the light it almost looks as though there is a throat behind that wicked smile ready to gobble you up.

Things to know:

Roll CON saving throw to keep your senses about you as you enter, failed checks make all checks HARD for 1d8 rounds

The hall is normally DOUBLE FAR in length and NEAR wide, but should be adjusted accordingly.

The Jack o’ Lantern casts an aura FAR that eliminates any magical illumination and causes non magical illumination to count down by 2 rather than 1 each round.

A successful WIS helps you notice the vines that extend from the pumpkin and cover the walls and sides of the floor. If they roll 3 higher than the required roll they also notice the vines hanging from the ceiling.

Successful DEX saves are needed to avoid the vines, which should be rolled every time a PC moves a NEAR length. Adjust the distance of the hall and number of tangle events accordingly.

The vines will entangle PC’s as they try to pass doing BASIC damage once per round as they constrict the PC. They can be escaped by a HARD DEX save or by normal means of cutting,burning or blasting.

The lower jaw of the Jack o’ Lantern is 1 HEART to break, whereas the rest of the body is 3 HEART.

Once in the Jack o’ Lantern it will shut down on them in 1d4 turns and will start spraying acid or necrotic damage CLOSE once per round. If a PC is trapped outside they will need to break through the remaining Pumpkin. If the PC’s smashed the pumpkin entirely before this, ignore this section.

A successful INT/WIS roll shows that what looks like a throat in the back of Jack o’ Lantern is actually a dirt tunnel leading down to the next area. It takes 1 HEART effort to dig it out enough to wiggle through one PC at a time. A faint light, or breeze can be a hint that something lies behind the dirt if a hint is needed.

Things to get (optional):

Hell’s Ember: ITEM. Illuminates FAR with a pale yellow, flickering glow. Light can’t be negated by magic or anti magic effect. It can be held in an owners hand and emits no heat. It is hard to conceal.

Tangling Vine: SPELL. Wis 13, All NEAR are wrapped in vines that grow from the ground and cannot move until the start of your next turn.

Pumpkin Juice: FOOD. Your smile becomes jagged and horrifying to look at and your eyes glow the color of your choice. For 1d6 rounds all checks for intimidation are EASY.

I am super happy with all the work that is happening in the discord chat. i feel like this is going to be a super fun dungeon when we are done!

Hey all you lumpy heads. We have been working hard in the discord group to get this dungeon cranked out for Halloween . But I know there are also some of you wonderful folks who aren’t on discord who wanna help out so I compiled our work so far into a google doc. Here is the link, but be warned, the words within are super spooky! Also, spoilers… so keep your eyes off unless you wanna ruin the surprise for later :wink: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xhvIpiJmK6CnP_9mwdZjQajLPp72RDMgy8fwIaeCibc

I’ll get right on the job… Monday! XD

Alright! I went through and did a little formatting on the Google Doc (swapping out the Markdown) and the dungeon is looking really good. I’m very excited! We’ve got drafts for sections 1-5. So all that is remaining is:

1. It gets Worse by @TheWunderLich
  2. It gets Worse by @BlazingPolyhedron
  3. Resolution by @Kingroy23
  4. Return by @Hans-Arsch

Once those are completed we can move on to tidying up the drafts and formatting it into something we can share! Woot!

I absolutely love the update to the formatting in the Google doc. It’s so much cleaner and easier to read now, thank you. I had just tried to get all relevant info onto somewhere besides discord, but you made it look real nice!

I’m reading the document right now! Half-way done! I’ll keep you guys updated!

What is Draft 2, at the bottom? Is the document being changed as I read it? XD

Not that I know of. That was an update to the #5 section with a few tweaks to the mechanics and settings. I didn’t want to assume anything by attempting to include those updates within the draft, so I just put them down at the bottom. I’ll make a note of that in the document so others see that too

Oh, okay, thanks a lot!

So what is:“It gets worse.” From the ICRPG books? And where do you guys want me to set it up in term of the encounterline? :slight_smile:

So the Story Architecture comes from the CORE 2e. It outlines a series of 9 parts of a story and the It Gets Worse sections come up after the Skills checks. Good example, IMO, of this would be the intro to Indiana Jones and the Ark of the Covenant.

Skill Check: Run out of the temple with the giant boulder chasing you.

It Gets Worse: Make it out of the temple with treasure in hand, but Belloq is there with a retinue of natives ready to kill you and so you have to hand over the treasure.

Oh! Alright! Got it! Thanks a lot, I didn’t even remember that part. XP
Thanks, I’ll re-read it then start up on my part which I will post here!

Don’t mean to beat a dead horse, but this is awesome. Way to collaborate on this.

If we keep beating it perhaps we will eventually do enough WEAPON EFFORT to revive it!!

Awesome, I can’t wait to see what you come up with. I also have one of the “it gets worse” sections, but I don’t have a preference as to which room to make worse lol the green house and the library both have some cool opportunities available. BTW I also will include a Room Design/ map for my two sections eventually. I am just trying to finish up another project at the moment first

Cool, just read the Document.

Don’t know if i should pour out my Ideas or if i should wait for the Resolution Section to be done. I think that could be more fluid feel if i knew what will happen in the last Scene before the Return.
@Kingroy23 any Plans yet?

If you put out your ideas now it may give people a goal to work towards in their writing and may make the whole thing more cohesive since we know the destination. That said, waiting until the rest are done and making an ending that fits what has been written leaves everyone free to write without restrictions. Ether way I’m excited to see how this all ends up!

It’s not important right now but my description is in the document twice for my section. This section can be deleted for clarity- " ((The rest remains the same, this goes before the first CON check))

As you enter the chamber a putrid smell of rotten leaves and old vegetables wafts over the entire party. At the end of the long stretch of ancient walls you see an ominous glowing smile leering out at you from the darkness. A giant Jack o’ Lantern, half rotten, fills the entirety of the back wall and its flickering flame is the only light cast in the room. Peering past the light it almost looks as though there is a throat behind that wicked smile ready to gobble you up.

Things to know:"