Combat questions

combat

Hi Players
I’ve got some questions about combat:

1. 10 goblins, are they just represented by one target number?
  2. When they attack, do you roll for every single goblin or for the group?
  3. If rolling for every single goblin, do you then have to point out a specific PC!
  4. Big monsters with ex. 3d6 with bonuses - and ex rolling 16: Do every PC LOOSE 16 hp (and ex 3 PCS die), or will the attack be distributed - or fokused against one single PC?
  5. GM and his/her monsters: Should they perform once and together in each round? If, how to attack with ex. three 2d6 monsters?

I have asked some of these questions before but deep inside a long thread of comments. Therefore I dare to repeat some of them😉

1. Depends on how you want to run this. If it’s supposed to be a stomp to show that the characters are badass, then target of 9 or 10 and 1 HP each, or at most 6 HP (to use a d6 for HP). If they are supposed to show a challenge, then up the Target number to 12 -14 and up the damage!
  2. I have rolled them all individually, but you can treat them as a hoard and have one big attack with +x being the number of goblins attacking and 1d6+x, spread out among all players.
  3. In that case, you have to call the attack beforehand because of different Defenses or Armor of the PCs
  4. If the monster is huge, I would make players roll a save against the Target Number (easy or hard as necessary) and take half damage or no damage on a save.
  5. You can have them act after the PCs take their turns, or you can throw them off by having some random monsters act in between players! Or have a big monster with multiple actions throw them in between player turns! It always scares the players that way!

PS: I have also made Hoard monster cards for myself like:

GOBLIN HOARD
2 Actions a turn
:heart: :heart: :heart:
:game_die: Target Number 14
For every :heart:, there are 10 goblins
+5 to Attacks and Retreat, +4 to damage

OVERRUN: The goblins chaotic disorder tries to overrun adventurers to bite, scratch, stab, and steal. Save for half or take XD6, where X is the number of :heart: remaining. (Example: 26HP is still considered 3 :heart:. Once drained to 20HP, it will only have 2 :heart: for damage calculation. This means that the hoard still does damage at <10HP.)

REINFORCEMENTS!: The goblins cry for reinforcements. in 1d4 rounds (or turns, if you are evil) the goblins heal 1d8 HP from reinforcements.

STEAL THE SHINIES!: The goblins affect everyone and thing nearby! Save or lose a random shiny loot!

IZZ A SCARY!: When goblin hoard is brought down to half, PC makes an EASY CHA check. On success, the Goblins break and run! (or you can make the goblins roll a Morale check)

Thank you, @SpicyVikingTofu! I like your streamlined solutions, as I think they are very much in the spirit of ICRPG. This “+x” solution is logical and intuitive - I really like it!
I only need clarification of your answer no. 2: 1d6+x “spread out”, does it mean that PCs SHARE the sum (ex. divided into four, because four PCs are present) or will the total sum hit every single PC?

Do any players use the monster protocols by Grizzly? Link: https://www.thegrizzlyrant.gmgrizzly.com/search/label/ICRPG

…or Runehammers A.I. for monsters on youtube?

I think I’m beginning to learn. ICRPG is also a sandbox game calling for my/our own interpretations and needs for system and freedom, guidance and selv-production, formation and loose shaping. Sometimes stimulating, sometimes frustrating. :grin::face_with_raised_eyebrow:

This is a great question. What you can do is spread the damage by splitting it up as evenly as possible, which is a pain for the party healer since he may only be able to heal one at a time.

Or everyone gets hurt for full, but I would not make an attack for the goblins, I would make that a Saving Throw for half damage. You can do saving throw using one of the stats like WIS or DEX. I would also consider using Armor or Defense bonus for making the saving throw (example: My defense is 13, so I would roll d20 + 3 against Room Target Number).

These are great ways to approach it, so the Referee or Game Master isn’t accidentally overkilling or nerfing itself with its actions.

I usually do conditions and take into account the creature intelligence.

If it’s a Goblin Hoard, they will steal all the shinies first > if they can’t do that, then they will attack anyone that they can outnumber > If they have taken damage, they will call for Reinforcements > Retreat and regroup > Start all over again.

This is why it’s also important to use Morale checks of any kind (Most OSR modules use a number between 2 - 12; roll 2d6 and if you roll higher than Morale score, they freak out and flee) or you can have your characters roll a CHA check when they meet a certain condition, like my example above.

Typically reasons for Morale checks are first Critical > Leader is slain > Force is reduced to 50%.

Generous answers, thank you!
As a totally new rpg gamer (with ICRPG as my first real rpg experience - only very little Savage World sniffing) there’s a lot of the vocabulary in implicit use in this forum in general that makes me confused (as a player from Denmark, english/american isn’t my mother tongue either)- but at the same time forces me to have a steep learning curve.
I had to search for “morale check”, “OSR-modules”, “saving throw” - because I only know jargon used in Runehammer’s ICRPG. But it’s fine, it’s stimulating - and now I think I understand your approach, @SpicyVikingTofu. I really think it is satisfying solutions to me, that you wrote down. :clap:

You’re very welcome! I should have clarified my language for everyone to understand. This can be a new game for anyone, and I have to understand that.

What is a Saving Throw?

A Saving throw is a stat check.

EXAMPLE: “A boulder is rolling towards you! You’re going to get crushed by it! How do you avoid it?!”

The Blade is very strong, so they will try to push the boulder: they rolls a STR Check.

The Shadow will jump out of the way: they roll a DEX Check.

This is the essence of a saving throw.

What is OSR?

OSR means Old School Revival and this is a set of RPG games that use old rules from 1980s but with modernized rules. They use Morale Checks and Reaction Rolls a lot for more random games.

What is a Morale Check?

Morale Check is how likely the monsters will continue fighting after they take damage or lose their leader. This is a more realistic way of running fights because not everyone will fight to the death! There are many ways to do it. A common way of old was Morale of 2-12 (Lower is bad and cowardly and 12 is mindless and never retreating), then the Game Master rolls 2d6. If higher than the Morale, the monster or enemy will stop fighting and run away or ask for mercy.

In ICRPG, I would say have the player who caused the morale check to roll a CHA check AGAINST the Room Target Number. This means that if the Target Number is high, the danger and ferocity of the monsters is high and they will fight longer.

Ooh, that’s really super clear to me now. Thank you!