Character Creation: Buying Defense with Effort Points

What do you think about using Effort Points during character creation to increase Defense? It could represent a Shadow’s ability to dodge, a Warrior’s skill at blocking, arcane wards that a Mage has, etc.

When I read the 2E Quickstart rules a while ago, I thought that’s what it said. Oops! But it doesn’t seem like a bad idea to me.

In CORE, you could use some points to increase your Armor, but with DEFENSE putting stats into CON increases your stats.

If you want to use Effort points, I suppose you could do that but I’d rather increase my CON and save those points for effort which I’ll probably end up using more.

I kind of agree with @KaneDriscol on this one. In ICRPG Con and Dex have top value. I’d allow a point of effort to equal a “shadow dodge” or some such. One per effort point usable once per day/ good rest.

Allows user to have the Opponent to reroll attack roll one per point only affects user.
Useful vs not so good opponents but vs +6 or better opponents not so valuable.

Anyway an idea that would fit the character concept.

So assuming your Shadow takes all 4 points in it…enemy rolls a 20 to attack you, you use a point…still hits but not a critical, shadow takes 7 points of damage.

On the next successful attack against the Shadow you dump the next 3 points to avoid getting hit.

Seems like an equal trade vs +4 randomly placed effort.

Ah, that’s where I got the idea from.

Increasing CON is a better option because it also increases your Recovery roll. Still, it might fit a character concept better to have low CON but higher Defense.

Thanks!

That’s an interesting idea.

Maybe it should just be a general rule that you can sacrifice a point of Defense to re-roll one attack against the character. Recover Defense after a long rest.

If it fits your world…go for it!!!

But, I like that rule. Only a true defense expert will have 10 versions of this between long rests, and a semi-defense expert will have 3…

It increases the value of Con a bit too much, however I love surge dice and this acts similar but only for defense.

If you’re to adjust it a tad, it would fit for a low/high fantasy where the hero’s survive more than expected.

Add these 4 points to all, and they can send them to other players if fighting enemies…but those who use effort points get more than 4 or certain classes get more.

Or if blessed you’re get 1 for the next d4 rounds.

It seems small but it’s not. It is surprising what X for the next D4 rounds can change the survivability of the game becomes.

If Shadows affect only self, but healer types affect only others…or all others in close…or near, it really affects the survival of the party.

It also ties everyone to their roles.
It’s a small thing that provides a huge difference.

Thinking of CON as part of DEF is maybe part of the adjustment that comes with the system. I had some players initially want to use DEX for DEF (like D&D), but I tried to encourage them to not just think of CON as like physical constitution, but guts and toughness as well. “Maybe you’re tough because you are hard to hit.” I think once you’re over the initial hump it feels and plays fine as written.

That said, D.I.Y. mentality says hack it up. I don’t think I’d put a foot down as a GM if a player really wanted to put some of their effort bonuses into core stats.

If you’d like another suggestion, maybe hack a new starting ability for your shadow who wants a bonus to DEF because they’re quick or stealthy or slippery. Like “ARTFUL DODGER.” and say something like, “DEF rolls that involve getting out of the way quickly are EASY,” and so on. “Remember the five D’s: Dodge, duck, dive, dip and dodge.”