Chain Hack - All about the Dice Chain

hack

Immortals should recognize a pretty clear inspiration. Any questions, thoughts, or ideas let me know!

Chain RPG - Looking for Players for Short Campaign

While no longer an immortal it’s recognizable from various games.

I’m pretty sure of the execution but an example of play would probably make this less abstract.

Warrior and mage vs. 4 goblins or giant scorpion.

Who rolls what when? What needs to be tracked and how?

It looks like armor is the only real tracking, but characters can have multiple pieces of armor.

Aura with healing is not clear. To heal you must have an Aura, healing provides 1 round of defense…how does that interplay with armor?

It looks to all be there, but execution is not clear.

It looks like a pretty cool concept. I not quite sure I fully understand it though.

So I’d just work on polishing it up and explain what everything is and how to put it into practice more thoroughly.

I have never been a fan of long-winded examples. I would rather improve my presentation.

Chain Hack is just meant to replace numerical stats with a Rank, which are the polyhedrals and remove HP in the process. The core of the game is still ICRPG. I will update the intro.

I do not think Aura can be any more explicit. The problem Aura is solving is the role of a healer in combat. If there is no HP, how does the healer “heal.” Looking at it again, it may make more sense to increase Armor vs Effort than Defense vs Attempt. Healing negates damage, so the hack should address damage (Armor) not chance to hit (Defense)

Overall, I think you are dramatically overthinking the hack because you are assuming it is a whole new rule set instead of “module” to replace numerical stats with d4,d6, etc. As with any draft, I need to make some adjustments.

Thanks for the feedback! Ya I think trying to squeeze it onto one page might have hindered more than helped.

Very interesting use of the dice chain and creation points. This could be used as a main system of play (as in your example) but could also have some benefits as a sub-system for special abilities.

Nice work @Jack_F

Game On!

Absolutely!!! I always go super complex and then simplify.

Let’s break this down.
Paragraph 1. "see table to determine Rank
could not be more clear…except there are two tables RANK/CHAIN and ARMOR TAGS/DESCRIPTION. though this did not lead to confusion.

LOOT
is where my confusion began. “Loot with static bonuses remain a static number. If Loot says roll X Effort, add the effort type to the roll” then an example is given “Great Sword, Weapon Rank + Ultimate Rank”

multiple ways to read this. Not clear what Ultimate Rank is?
+2 Great Sword becomes ??? My guess is +2 (+Str Rank rank +Weapon Rank rank)+D20 roll gives me my result. So I have an STR of 1 and a Weapon Rank of 3 my roll would be Rank 4 (D10) + D20 +2???

HP
None. I would recommend “Not Used” I would move it above STATS and move Dying and Aura to Armor

Armor + Defence
This is the Core of this Hack/module and I am more confused at this point. and I now know where I am confused…Sunder 24 effort against rank 3 armor destroys it

Overall review
including what was said in the reply, of exchanging numerical values with ranks armor vs defense. I am honestly a bit more confused :stuck_out_tongue:

What this did get me thinking on was adding a dice chain Vs Armor to offset action and effort. but it would no longer be an ICRPG hack and be it’s own entity.

Rank Chain
1 D4
2 D6
3 D8
4 D10
5 D12
6 D12+d4 (Big jump) what about 2D6? too small of a change, but the likelihood of higher rolls changes. way too much thought.

Alternatively

Rank chain
1 D4
2 D6
3 d8
4 d10
5 d12
6 d10+d4
7 d12+d4 or d10+d6 or 2d8
8 d12+d6 or D10+d8
9 d12+d8 or 2 d10
10 d12+D10

but where this gets special action roll of Stat rank+ instrument rank+ effort rank = ultimate rank roll Vs. def Rank = armor rank reduction.
def rank= ranks of armor + rank of con…too much of a tangent for this conversation.

Anyway, Play around with it, it has a place.

Man you are drastically overthinking it. I am glad it sparked your interest, but you are running away in a completely opposite direction. The hack is about the simplicity of the ascending dice chain, and you are looking for complexity that is not there.

The lack of focus is partly my fault. Working on an updated overview which anchors the rest of the document more securely.

I appreciate the effort and work you’ve put in, but if I’ve had to read through it three times to try and understand it’s concept… then I believe this to be too complex to fit with ICRPG.

Is there a particular hang up? I have a feeling my poor presentation misleads you; it is a bait and switch between static stats and positions in the Dice Chain.

To remedy some of the clear contradictions encountered, I attempted to rig together patch-work mechanics. Not perfect, but passable to start. Already made some improvements based on feedback!

EDIT: grammar

it’s a neat thing. but what is the design goal you are aiming at? This appears to make the average roll total higher, but not always, so it is more swingy, usually the goal of of the stat points is to make that more consistent.